I love mussels and cooking them up a bunch of different ways only adds to the deliciousness! Try my five toppings and create some of your own.
I love New Zealand Mussels and all the things you can do with them. And their beautiful green shells make them even more appealing. If you’ve never tried New Zealand Mussels you’re in for a treat!
When I have friends come over to watch a big game or just to socialize, I always try to find something fun to serve them. With the big game this weekend I think I came up with just the right dish, New Zealand Mussels Served 5 Ways!
My guests will be enjoying Buffalo Mussels, Garlic Mussels, Pesto Mussels, Mussels Italiano, and Mussels Diablo! Of course, there are lots of other toppings to choose from. Be creative and come up with your favorite toppings!
And if you don’t like mussels, these toppings will work well with Oysters or Clams! These Mussels were made using Frozen New Zealand Mussels on the half shell, but the black cultivated mussels you see in local grocers will work as well. Although I would advise steaming them first before adding the toppings before placing them in the oven.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like these:
New Zealand Mussels Served 5 Ways
- 30 New Zealand Mussels on the half shell
- 2 tbsp marinara sauce
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp your favorite buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp bleu cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp homemade or store bought pesto sauce
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped parsley optional to add color
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp grated romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- thaw out New Zealand Mussels and place on cookie sheet or baking dish
- spoon marinara sauce on each mussel
- top with shredded mozzarella cheese
- top each mussel with buffalo sauce
- add bleu cheese crumbles on top of sauce
- spoon pesto on to mussel (pesto may be cut with olive oil if its too strong)
- Sautee chopped garlic lightly in melted butter (add parsley if using when done cooking)
- place in refrigerator and allow to firm up
- place mound of garlic butter on top of each mussel pressing in with your hand
- drizzle olive oil on top of mussels
- sprinkle with grated romano cheese and red pepper flakes
- Bake mussels in 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or until cheese is fully melted
- Serve immediately