If you're heating up the grill, try something a little different this year and serve up grilled lamb chops with my watermelon feta salad. Its sure to please
Summer is closing in fast and that means its time to fire up the grill and get your favorite side dishes ready for your next barbecue! This year its time to think outside the box just a bit and come up with some new ideas to make your summer gatherings more delicious than ever before.
Grilled Lamb Chops are a great way to up your game just a bit and can be a tasty starter if you’re feeding a large group or the main meal for an intimate gathering.
Most supermarkets carry the Frenched baby lamb chops aka rib chop which are delicate and tender if you’re buying New Zealand chops or meatier Colorado version. Both contain that tender eye of lean meat with a layer of flavorful fat. You may also find the Loin Chops which are miniature versions of a Porterhouse cut that contains the loin and the tenderloin and make for some pretty good eating! The loin chop should be about an inch thick and fares better with fast high heat.
Either way, you’ll find them a delicious treat for your guests and are best when simply seasoned and grilled.
For an adventurous and delicious side dish try a Watermelon Feta salad with pickled onions (and if you have an aversion to onions, simply leave them out). Its a novel take on the traditional watermelon slices adding the salty creaminess of feta and either mint or basil depending upon which way your tastes run.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might also like these recipes for your grill!
- How to Grill a Steak House Style Steak
- Trio of Skewer Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Alfredo
- Grilled Mahi-Mahi with Caponata
Grilled Lamb Chops and Watermelon Feta Salad
- 1 pound lamb chops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning or your own mix of cracked black pepper, sea salt and garlic
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 2 cups watermelon cubes
- 1 cup feta cheese cubes
- ½ cup pickled onions
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- cup ½ apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons ½ sea salt
- mix chops together in a ziplock bag with the oil, vinegar, water and seasonings. Mix well and allow to sit for an hour.
- Get your grill hot.
- place chops on grill for about 2 minutes per side for the rib chop, and depending upon the thickness 3 minutes or more per side for the loin chops. You want the meat to be a little pink for the best flavor.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- Gently toss watermelon, feta and pickled onions together. serve as side or on a bed of arugula.
- Thinly slice the red onion
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together until sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- Pour mixture over sliced red onions and cover. Allow to set at least one hour or overnight.
- Leftover onions can be saved and used on burgers and sandwiches.