If you're looking for comfort food, my deconstructed Chicken Stew, with roasted vegetables, pan fried chicken and mushroom gravy will surely satisfy!
This time of year nothing says Comfort Food more than a hearty delicious stew and my deconstructed chicken stew is comfort food at its best.
While I did cut down drastically the amount of gravy that normally would come with a stew, being a southern boy I decided to bread and pan fry my chicken for the added flavor. But if you’d like to make this even more healthy and lose the extra calories from frying just roast or grill your chicken.
By roasting the vegetables and not subjecting them to the boiling and simmering in the gravy, they had a wonderful fresh flavor, each vegetable keeping its identity. The coating on the chicken added another element to the dish, with the final touch of that creamy mushroom chicken gravy taking this dish into the Comfort Food Hall of Fame!
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like these:
Deconstructed Chicken Stew
- 3 medium potatoes cut into chunks
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Pan Fried Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs boneless skinless
- 2 large eggs eggs lightly whipped with 1/4 milk added to make the egg wash
- 1 cup all purpose flour seasoned with sea salt and black pepper
- oil to pan fry chicken
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Coat prepared vegetables with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper
- Place in baking dish and roast in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes
Pan Fried Chicken
- Rinse chicken thighs in cold water, then pat dry with paper towels'
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour
- Dip chicken in egg wash
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and set on plate until ready to fry
- Add olive oil to a large saute pan and let the pan get very hot before adding floured chicken
- Pan fry chicken 3-4 minutes or until golden brown over medium high heat, then turn over and cook other side for the same time or until golden brown.
- Place pan fried chicken in baking dish and finish in oven until chicken has reached an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
- Add butter to sauce pan and melt
- Add sliced mushrooms to pan and saute mushrooms until they are almost fully cooked
- Add flour to pan and stir to make roux mushroom mix, reduce heat to very low and simmer for 5 minutes to allow flour to cook.
- Add chicken stock and mix well to get out any lumps
- Add additional stock or water if gravy is too thick.
- Place roasted vegetables on platter, top with pan fried chicken and then top with mushroom gravy
- Serve immediately
It doesn’t have to be winter time to enjoy this delicious Deconstructed Chicken, this dish is perfect for anytime of year. Serve it up with your favorite biscuit and you’ve got a meal that will surely satisfy.
Have a great week my friends and take heart, spring is just a few week away! See you soon.