For one of the best apple cakes, you'll ever have try my Torta de Mele! An apple butter cake will go perfectly with every meal or just as a snack!
My Torta di Mele is one of the best apple cakes you’ll ever have.
Today it gives me great pleasure to share with you a recipe taught to me by Mama Jeanette many years ago, it’s one of my favorite desserts, and it’s also one of the most reliable recipes I have.
No matter who I share this recipe with; the results are always the same……Delicious, and every time I make this buttery apple cake, I think back to a simpler time and the days I spent with Mama Jeanette……
The weather had changed that morning, it was the kind of day that really made you appreciate being alive. The air was cold and crisp, the cold wind held the scent of ripe apples from the nearby orchard, each breath felt like a gift from God.
Mama Jeanette said “Sonny Boy, let’s go pick us some apples” My mind went directly to a deep dish apple pie, but Mama Jeanette had other plans. As I peeled the apples she explained we would be making a Torta di Mele, she went on to explain it was her mother’s recipe for an Italian Apple Cake that had been passed down through her family for generations, and now she was giving it to me.
That afternoon we sat by the fireplace, with a warm slice of apple cake and an espresso, it was a glorious day to be alive……and today my friends I’d like to pass along Mama Jeanette’s family recipe for Torta de Mele…….enjoy!
If you love Italian desserts, make sure to check out my Tiramisu recipe.
If you’ve tried my Torte de Miele recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook
Torta di Mele
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 large apples cut into slices
- 2/3 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar to dust
- preheat oven to 375, butter a 9” round cake pan
- In a large frying pan over low heat, melt the butter, reserve 6 tbs for later. Add the
- apple slices and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, salt and baking powder. In a large bowl beat the whole eggs and egg yolks until blended. Add the butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Stir in flour and apples. Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until cake is browned, 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in pan for
- minutes. Invert cake onto plate to remove the pan and then invert again and return to rack to cool completely.
- Before serving dust with 10x sugar