You'll love this buttery rich caramel apple torte, drizzled with a dark caramel sauce. It's perfect for dessert or even breakfast!
Don’t you think it’s time for a Caramel Apple Torte?
A few weeks ago I made a chocolate chip ricotta torte, and the cake itself was really delicious. So I thought I would give it a try with apples instead of ricotta and the results were amazing. Especially with a little extra caramel drizzled over the top of this ah-mazingly delicious torte.
The only thing missing on my Caramel Apple Torte is the vanilla ice cream.
This dessert is a show stopper and it’s really pretty easy to make. Why not try it this weekend and surprise your friends and family!
If you love traditional Italian desserts you may also like these recipes:
Caramel Apple Torte
Cake aka crust
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 12 oz very cold butter sliced thinly
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp greek yogurt plain or vanilla
Filling and Caramel Sauce
- 6 medium apples I used gala
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz heavy cream
- Peel the apples and cut into small slices or chunks, then set aside
- In a sauté pan heat the sugar until it starts to brown, don’t stir the sugar, but try to keep it moving by rolling the pan around.
- As the sugar melts and browns add the butter and mix it in using a wooden spoon. Add in the heavy cream, just be careful it doesn’t splash up on you, mixing in the cold cream can be a bit tricky. Stir until smooth.
- Add in the apples and allow to simmer for a bit, to get in some of the caramel flavors
- Remove the apples from the caramel letting them drain a bit so they are not too wet, and allow to cool a bit.
- In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients for the crust together, except the butter
- Cut the butter into very thin slices and add it to the mixture working it in gently, you don’t want the butter to blend in, the mixture should be chunky.*
- Press half of the mixture gently into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan that has been greased with butter and dusted with flour. (do not mash it down!)
- Add the apples to the bottom layer and spread evenly.
- spread the remaining crust mixture evenly on top of the apples
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes at 350° or until a toothpick stuck in comes out clean
- The remaining caramel sauce will have thinned out from the juice in the apples, allow it to simmer and reduce until it has re-thickened.
- Drizzle the torte with your caramel sauce and enjoy!
- The Caramel Apple Torta is best served warm or at room temperature.