When you’re looking for a classic sugar cookie recipe, my easy-to-make sugar cookies will not disappoint. My recipe uses simple pantry ingredients and is the perfect cookie for any time of the year.
This is definitely the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever used. It’s been time-tested for decades and never fails me.
If you’re feeling fancy you can use cookie cutters to make fun shapes and even decorate them with colorful royal icing. But for my money, the best sugar cookie is plain, warm out of the oven.
Classic Sugar Cookie Ingredients
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients we need to make the perfect Sugar Cookie. In Chef Speak this is called the “Mise en Place” which translates to “Everything in its Place”.
Not only does setting your ingredients up ahead of time speed up the cooking process, it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
How to make my Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together until well blended. Set the flour mixture to the side until needed.
- Place the softened butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. (You can also use a hand mixer with beater blades and a large mixing bowl)
- Cream the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes)
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, to the butter mixture.
- Mix on low speed, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Mix together on low speed. . Mix just long enough to incorporate the flour into the butter mixture.
- Add one-half cup of sugar to a small bowl, to roll the cookies in.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough out and roll them into 1-inch balls. *the dough is soft and delicate, so it’s important not to overhandle the dough.
- Gently roll the dough ball in the sugar, shaking off the excess. Place the sugared dough balls on a baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Use a drinking glass to flatten the dough ball, by placing the bottom of the glass on top of the dough ball and gently flatten the dough to about ½ inch thick
- Place the baking sheet on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for 9-11 minutes. The outside edges of the cookies will be turning golden brown,m and the centers will seem just barely set.
- Place the baking sheets on a wire rack to cool completely.
*These cookies will last up to two weeks when stored in airtight containers.
There is something to be said for a plain cookie and this cookie is the perfect example of a cookie that’s unassuming and lets the flavors speak for themself.
I know you’re going to love my sugar cookie recipe and it will soon become a family favorite.
Most people prefer a soft and tender sugar cookie, usually, a crunchy cookie is a sign of overbaking. One of the biggest mistakes people make when making cookies is to over-mix the dry ingredients. The rule of thumb with baked goods is to mix flour / dry ingredients just enough to be incorporated into the mixture. Over-mixing will make the cookie tough.
Regular granulated sugar is the sugar of choice with cookies unless otherwise stated in the recipe.
Cookies will spread as the fat used in the cookie begins to melt. This generally happens when there hasn’t been enough flour used to hold the melted fat. It’s important to measure the ingredients accurately.
These cookies were so easy to make and so delicious!
I love sugar cookies. I have some mental block and can’t make them. I ALWAYS over mix and get tough cookies or under mix and they fall apart. Your recipe was spot on and they came out perfectly!