one of my favorite soups has always been a Roasted Red Pepper soup. The addition of chicken and corn really kicks it up a notch!
How to make Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Grilled Chicken and Grilled Corn.
When I first started learning how to cook my favorite dish to make were soups. Let me clarify that, the only item on the menu I was trusted to make with minimal supervision were the soups, or at least that’s what I thought.
What I later learned was that working with new ingredients and making classical dishes could be taught, but if you didn’t have that understanding of ingredients and how they worked together, creating new dishes on your own would be almost impossible. You would always be able to re-create, but there was no magic in that.
My task was to see what was left over and make a soup out of those ingredients, In fact at one time that’s how soups were always made. That is until they became more in demand, and the need for soup far surpassed the amount of leftovers on hand.
Restaurants started featuring soups and became well known for their creations, and somewhere along the way, the hearty soups made from leftovers fell by the wayside, replaced by standardized recipes….sigh
They say old ways die hard, and when I opened the refrigerator to make lunch today I saw too many good leftovers staring at me, begging to be used……and that my friends is how I came up with this incredibly delicious Roasted Red Pepper soup!
If you’ve tried my pesto recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook
Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Grilled Chicken and Corn
- 3 tbsp buter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 stalks celery diced diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 1/2 cups roasted peppers pureed canned or make roast your own
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tbsp Franks Buffalo Sauce
- sea salt to taste
- 4 oz shredded cooked chicken
- 4 oz roasted or grilled corn off the cob
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro garnish each bowl with a sprinkle
- tbsp *garnish each bowl of soup with 1 of Low Fat Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
- In a medium to large saucepan add the Kelapo coconut oil and allow to become liquid.
- Add diced celery and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes
- Add flour and blend in well and reduce heat to low, allow roux to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock to the roux and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes on low heat.
- Add in pureed roasted red peppers, franks buffalo sauce, sugar, and shredded chicken, stir well.
- Season with sea salt to taste, and if it seems a little bitter add in another tsp of sugar.
- You can either add the corn directly to the soup at this point, or add it to the soup as part of the garnish.
- Allow soup to simmer on low for 20 minutes *
- Garnish soup with a dollop of Low Fat Greek Yogurt, Corn and Cilantro.