Cream of broccoli soup is just what the doctor ordered! Fresh broccoli, roasted grape tomatoes and aged cheddar, make this Broccoli soup one to remember!
How about my cream of broccoli soup for dinner tonight? I’m sure your friends and family will be happy you made it!
One of my recent classes was on cream sauces and soups, and for my soup, I decided to make Cream of Broccoli. I decided a little variation was in order and added roasted grape tomatoes and cheddar to the soup. And it was a great decision!
The flavors were in perfect harmony, the subtle hints of aged cheddar, along with the sweet roasted tomatoes added a depth of flavors to the rich creamy broccoli soup. Now I know what you’re thinking, what a fattening unhealthy soup!
Au contraire mon ami….. don’t you know that broccoli and tomatoes are both considered super foods, and those nutritional powerhouse foods are loaded with nutrients that are so important to a long and healthy life!
Now, don’t you feel better knowing that! Just add a few slices of crusty (whole grain) bread and you’re all set for a healthy delicious lunch!
Soups are a great way to use leftovers and can be made up of just about any ingredients. Have fun in your kitchen developing your own soup recipes using the basic techniques I use in my recipes. Your family will love the variety and the deliciousness you serve up at mealtime.
What is your favorite soup to make? What is your favorite soup to eat?
If you liked this soup recipe you may also like these:
- Italian Wedding Soup with Tortellini
- Lobster Chowder
- Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Sausage and Bean Minestra
Cream of Broccoli soup
- 4 oz unsalted butter 114 gm
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 stalk celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes roasted
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy or light cream
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- toss grape tomatoes with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
- in a 350 degree oven roast tomatoes for about 20 minutes
- In a sauce pot add the stock and broccoli and bring to a boil, cooking the broccoli until very tender
- in another sauce pot melt the butter
- add diced celery, and onions to melted butter and saute for about 5 minutes (this is your roux)
- add flour and mix well, reduce heat and continue to cook without burning roux, for about 7-10 minutes
- add chicken stock and broccoli to the roux and mix well with a wire whip until fully blended
- add heavy cream or dairy of your choice and cheddar, mix well until the cheddar is melted
- with heat reduced add roasted tomatoes and continue to simmer for 15 minutes
- If the soup appears too thick thin it out with water, reseason as needed.
- Serve with crusty bread!