Nothing says love a bowl of Italian Wedding Soup. Add your favorite tortellini to the soup and you've got a bowlful of body and soul-warming deliciousness.
Italian Wedding Soup is a great way to start any meal or simply add in a loaf of crusty bread and a salad and you’ve got a delicious healthy light dinner! But no matter when you serve it or for what occasion you’re sure to get smiles from your guests down to the very last spoonful.
Wouldn’t your family enjoy a bowlful of this Italian Wedding soup?
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients for the soup (I forgot the breadcrumbs for the meatballs).
As with most soups, you start with a mirepoix, diced carrots, celery and onions. Simmer the veggies about 5 minutes.
After letting the soup simmer for about an hour, its time to add the escarole and if you want to make it a little heartier for dinner add in your favorite tortellini or mini ravioli.
I used a three cheese tortellini but feel free to use your favorite. You could also use rice, leftover risotto, or any other small pasta shape you enjoy.
Whether you serve this for dinner, lunch or you’re next party everyone is going to love the simplicity and flavors of this Italian Classic. Just don’t forget to have plenty of crusty bread, European butter and Romano cheese on hand, throw in a salad and you just made dinner a special occasion.
Homemade soups are easy to make. Using leftovers to create deliciousness in your kitchens soup pot. What is your favorite soup?
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like my Corn Chowder Recipe.
If you liked this soup recipe you may also like these:
- Cream of Broccoli with Roasted Tomatoes
- Lobster Chowder
- Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Sausage and Bean Minestra
Italian Wedding Soup with Tortellini
- 2 carrots diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 head escarole chopped or your favorite green
- olive oil for sauteing veggies
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces tortellini optional
- 1 lb ground chicken or your favorite combination of meatball meat
- 1 egg I used organic / cage free
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs I used gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely minced
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- heat a small stock pot and add olive oil to sweat down the veggies (mirepoix)
- Add in diced celery, carrots and onion stir well and season with a little sea salt and black pepper, allow to cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add chicken stock , bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer
- add all the meatball ingredients into a bowl and mix just enough to incorporate all the ingredients. Be careful not to overmix
- Form marble size meatballs from the mix and when finished drop them gently into the hot broth.
- After the soup has simmered for about an hour, add in the chopped escarole and tortellini
- Serve with a little grated romano cheese and enjoy!