If you’re a chocolate lover my Italian Chocolate Torte is a delicious way to satisfy that craving. Packed with dried fruit and nuts, topped with a rich chocolate ganache it’s a chocolate lover’s dream that is perfect for the holidays or your next special occasion.
When it comes to anything food-related Italians have created some of my all-time favorite desserts. And this Chocolate Torte (aka Torta Ricca con Frutta Secca e Disidratata) has been a favorite since I first discovered it on a trip to Florence twenty-some years ago.
The ganache topping adds another layer of chocolaty deliciousness that takes this decadent dessert to another level. Top it with fresh whip cream
What ingredients do I need to make an Italian Chocolate Torte?
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients we need to make my Italian Chocolate Torte. In Chef Speak this is called the “Mise en Place” which translates to “Everything in its Place”.
Not only does setting your ingredients up ahead of time speed up the cooking process, it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
Do I have to use dried fruit or nuts in this cake?
No, you don’t. You could add additional nuts, or your favorite chocolate chips or other chips instead.
You may be surprised at how much you enjoy the added layer of flavor the fruit adds to the cake, it’s definitely worth trying the recipe as is.
If you have nut allergies you can also replace the nuts with your favorite baking chips or additional dried fruit.
How do I make an Italian Chocolate Torte?
Start by spreading the mixed nuts on a sheet pan in a 350-degree oven. Roast the nuts for about 10 minutes turning them once halfway through the process.
*After allowing them to cool, chop them into smaller pieces.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place the pieces in a bowl over simmering water. Stir the chocolate until it has completely melted, then set aside until needed.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) whip the softened butter with the brown sugar for about 10 minutes on medium to high speed using the whisk attachment of your mixer.
- Add the mascarpone, and Greek yogurt to the mixture and mix just enough to combine.
- Add the melted chocolate, flour, egg yolks, and cocoa to the mixture. Mix just enough to combine the ingredients.
- Add the cranberries, roasted nuts, pineapple and candied ginger to the mixture. Fold these ingredients in until combined.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with the salt, until soft peaks are formed.
- Carefully fold the whipped egg whites to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared springform pan, using a spatula to level the surface.
- Place the pan on a cookie sheet and place on the middle rack in a preheated 350-degree oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack while you make the topping.
How do I make the Chocolate Topping?
Chop the chocolate into small pieces and add it to a bowl over simmering water, with the butter and heavy cream. Stir until the mixture is well blended and smooth.
Let the topping cool for about 10 minutes then using an offset spatula spread the chocolate evenly over the top of the torte, allowing it to drip down the sides of the cake.
*Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to let the chocolate set up before slicing.
Who’s ready to join me in a slice of deliciousness? I promise your friend and family are going to love my Italian Chocolate Torte!
More Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love!
- Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- Triple Chocolate Pecan Fudge Brownies
- No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake