If you’re looking for the ultimate chocolate dessert, my Chocolate Mousse Cake with Chocolate Mousse Mascarpone Frosting is just what you’re looking for!
I made this incredible chocolate cake (using my olive oil chocolate cake recipe) with ribbons of rich indulgent chocolate mousse in between the layers, can you say decadent?
But I didn’t stop there. Instead of just using the mousse for the frosting I decided to blend some mascarpone cheese into it! What I got was a light creamy version of the mousse, that didn’t overpower the cake.
What ingredients do I need to make a Chocolate Mousse Cake?
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients we need to make my Chocolate Mousse Cake with a Mascarpone Mousse Frosting. In Chef Speak this is called the “Mise en Place” which translates to “Everything in its Place”.
Not only does setting your ingredients up ahead of time speed the up cooking process, but it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
How Do I make a Chocolate Mousse Cake?
Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- With your mixer on low speed beat in the oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into the three 9″ prepared pans, coated with butter and dusted in flour or sugar.
Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Do not over bake the cake. It should be firm to the touch, and a cake skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
Put the cake pans on cooling racks and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans to cool completely
How do I make chocolate mousse?
While the cake is baking or before hand, make the chocolate mousse.
- Place the chocolate in a stainless steel bowl, over a pot of simmering water, stir with a rubber spatula as the chocolate melts, if the pan starts to get too hot, remove it from the heat.
- Continue to stir the chocolate until it has melted completely, then remove from the heat.
- Cut the butter into 8 pieces and mix it into the melted chocolate until it has been completely absorbed by the chocolate.
- Set the chocolate aside to cool to room temperature
When the chocolate has been prepared, the next step is making the sabayon for the chocolate mousse.
- add the egg yolks to the bowl of your mixer and begin to whip them until doubled in size.
- then begin to slowly pour the sugar in a steady stream into the yolks. Continue to whip for another minute.
- add the liquid to the egg yolk mixture and place the mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk the yolk mixture until it becomes very thick.
- When the egg yolks have thickened, continue to whip in your stand mixer until the mixture has cooled.
The final step in making the chocolate mousse is making the whipped cream and combing the ingredients.
- when the sabayon has cooled, fold it into the chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Whip the cream in your stand mixer until it holds its shape, then fold it into the chocolate mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
How do I make the chocolate mousse mascarpone frosting?
Divide the prepared chocolate mousse into two portions. use one half of the mousse to make mascarpone frosting.
- Whip the room temperature mascarpone to make it smooth.
- Add the chocolate mousse to the whipped mascarpone and continue to whip until smooth.
- Refrigerate until needed
*if the frosting hardens up too much by being refrigerated use a hand mixer or wire whisk, to re-whip the frosting smooth.
How to assemble the Chocolate Mousse Cake
When the cake has completely cooled, you can now begin assembly.
- start with one layer, then add one-half of the chocolate mousse (not the frosting) to the layer spreading evenly.
- top the first mousse-filled layer with the second layer and repeat the process.
- add the final layer to the cake.
- when the layers have been set, start frosting the cake using the mascarpone chocolate mousse frosting, spreading evenly.
- top with raspberries and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow to set up
My Chocolate Mouse cake did not disappoint, it was rich and chocolaty without being overpowering. I enjoyed mine with a tall glass of ice-cold milk, but it would also go great with a good cup of coffee.
If you’re planning a party and looking for that special dessert to wow the crowd, I can recommend this cake, your guests will be in chocolate heaven, all begging for the recipe!
It would also make the perfect birthday cake for that chocolate lover in your life, but you don’t really need an excuse to make this deliciously decadent cake………. after all it’s Chocolate!
Kitchen tools I use for my cakes
- offset spatula (essential for bakers)
- 9-inch USA Pan Bakeware cake pans
- 9-inch parchment cake circles
- silicone spatulas
- wire whisk
- mixing bowls
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Ultimate Pomegranate Mousse Cake
- Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Mousse Filling
- Bee Sting Cake
- Restaurant Style Hummingbird Cake
- Four Layer Banana Crunch Cake