Looking for a delicious Meatless Monday option for your family? Spice things up a bit at your family table with my easy to make Root Vegetable Paella. Just make sure to make enough because everyone is going to want seconds!
How to make Root Vegetable Paella for your next Meatless Monday!
A few weeks ago I made my version of a Tex-Mex Jambalaya on Around the Kitchen Table and during the show, the question came up about Vegetarian Options for the dish and I mentioned a Root Vegetable Paella. I had never made this version of Paella and although I strayed considerably from the Classical Interpretation of this dish it proved to be worthy of the name!
Although the dish does require a little bit more time in prepping the veggies and may leave Carnivores feeling a little unsatisfied it was wonderfully delicious with the vegetable retaining their flavors while caramelizing adding even more to the dish. The Saffron Rice was true to its name and although I left the Soffritto out of this dish because of all the veggies I had added, it still had a lovely flavor with that rich unmistakable Saffron flavor.
So whether you make this one of your Meatless Monday dinners or serve it as a side dish to accompany your favorite grilled protein I promise its sure to be a hit with your friends and family and a delicious dish for a light satisfying dinner during the summer months. Just add some crusty bread and a glass of wine and it will be a night to remember!
Here’s the video edition of the recipe from Around the Kitchen Table.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Root Vegetable Paella
- 1 Turnip peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Parsnip peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 slices Carrots peeled and cut into large
- 1 Onion peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Fennel bulb cleaned and cut into chunks
- 2 Potatoes cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 head garlic peeled cloves
- 12 oz whole mushrooms washed
- 12 oz grape tomatoes washed
- Olive Oil as needed
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 pinch Saffron
- 2 cups rice
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Clean and prep all vegetables
- Toss vegetables in a light coating of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Place lightly oiled seasoned veggies covered with foil for 25 minutes, then uncover and continue roasting for an additional 15 minutes
- While Veggies are roasting begin your cooking your saffron rice.
- In a large skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil and rice. Stir rice to slightly saute rice for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and saffron. Stir to blend together then cover and allow to simmer while cooking rice. Stir occasionally, rice should take about 30-40 minutes to cook.
- Rice and Veggies should be done about the same time, for assembly on a large platter use the Saffron Rice as a base, arranging the beautiful roasted veggies on top of the rice.