Your family will love my easy to make Szechuan Style Dan Dan Noodles with shrimp for dinner tonight. It's not difficult to make Asian inspired dishes, it's all about having the ingredients on hand.
It’s super easy to make your own Asian Style dishes in your own home and these Dan Dan Noodles with Shrimp were a breeze to make and amazingly delicious!
If you haven’t heard of Dan Dan Noodles before you’re not alone. Dan Dan noodles are a spicy, salty powerfully tasting dish from the Szchaun Provence that’s starting to show up more on menu’s around the country as part of the New Noodle Craze. So if you love ramen, lo mein, chow fun or any of those delicious noodle dishes you get at your local Asian restaurant then you’re going to love Dan Dan Noodles!
First we need a little history on dan dan noodles.
The name refers to a type of carrying pole (dan dan) that was used by walking street vendors who sold the dish to passers-by. The pole was carried over the shoulder, with two baskets containing noodles and sauce attached at either end. The noodles cost almost nothing, and gradually local people came to call them dan dan noodles. Literally, the name translates as “noodles carried on a pole”, but may be better translated as “peddler’s noodles”. – source wikipedia
Let’s talk about some of the supplies you’ll need to make authentic Szechuan Dan Dan Noodle dishes. For the most authentic taste look for your supplies in an Asian market or a supermarket with a large selection of ingredients used in Chinese cooking.
What do I need to make Asian Inspired dishes at home?
- Any type of flat wheat noodle can be used for this recipe; for the most authentic taste and texture, look for a Chinese brand of noodles.
- Dark soy sauce (also referred to as black soy sauce) is thicker than regular soy sauce with a touch of sweetness.
- Chinese sesame paste is similar to tahini with a more prominent roasted-sesame flavor.
- Chinese black vinegar (aka Chingkiang vinegar) has a rich, smoky flavor.
- Toasted Sesame Oil
- Hot Chili Oil
- Garlic-Chili Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce depending upon heat preference
- Chinese Rice Wine
- Hoisin Sauce
- Low sodium Sesame Sauce
- sesame seeds (white and black)
These items will kick start your Chinese cooking and also add a flavorful boost to many of your regular recipes. Look for ways to incorporate some of these ingredients into your favorite dishes, creating new fusion dishes for your friends and family to enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like these:
- Asian Inspired Tangerine Pork Chops
- Stirfried Pork with Ho Fun Noodles
- Pork Fried Rice with Chinese Barbecued Pork
- Korean Pork Barbecue
Dan Dan Noodles with Shrimp adapted from Eating Well Magazine
- 12 ounces Chinese flat wheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese sesame paste or tahini
- 2 tablespoons garlic-chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- red yellow and orange mini peppers one each- very thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions chopped half way up the green
- 12 raw large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse well. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl.
- While noodles are cooking, combine sugar, dark soy sauce, reduced-sodium soy sauce, sesame paste (or tahini), garlic-chili sauce, chicken broth and cider vinegar in a small bowl. Place near it near your stove.
- Heat flat-bottom carbon-steel wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cooking oil to hot pan, coating the surface.
- When the pan is very hot add shrimp and garlic, cooking until the shrimp until almost done, 2-3 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and add sesame seeds, coating the shrimp. Keep the pan on the stove to keep shrimp warm until ready to serve.
- When the noodles are cooked, drain them well and place drained noodles into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sauce to the hot noodles, tossing to coat entirely,
- Return the shrimp to the stove top to finish cooking.
- Top with sliced peppers and scallions and shrimp.
- Serve and enjoy!