Since my first taste of Pumpkin Roll its been one of my favorite desserts. The light and tender pumpkin cake along with the cream cheese frosting is the perfect after dinner (or breakfast) treat.
Enjoy this Classic Pumpkin Roll with cream cheese filling at your holiday table!
As I sit in my aisle seat of an overcrowded flight from? San Francisco to Philadelphia, I can’t help but marvel at how far I have come during my years of blogging. Before blogging I was more of a passive participant in the ever-changing area of technology, satisfied to let it pass me by, as those much younger embraced and pursued it always looking for the next best thing….sigh
Now I’m called a live stream pioneer and referred to as a social media influencer. Somewhere along the way, I embraced technology and social media.
But one thing that will never change is the fact that I am a Chef and food blogger. Those are two professions that I hold dear and I feel define me as a person.
With that in mind and Thanksgiving just around the corner, my thoughts went to the holiday traditions of my childhood, and our family trips to Vermont, and my first taste of Pumpkin Roll. I haven’t thought about those times for a while, and I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a slice or four of pumpkin roll. But with fall in the air (well not in Florida) its time for everything pumpkin to start appearing in the stores and on our table.
Making my first pumpkin roll was a challenge for me. Not being a trained baker I’ve always been afraid of making any type of roll cakes. As it turned out, the cake was easier to make than I
As it turned out, the cake was easier to make than I imagined and was every bit as delicious as I remembered. So if you’re looking for yet another delicious pumpkin dessert to grace your holiday table, I wholeheartedly recommend this cake!
If you need a Gluten-Free version of this delicious dessert you can find it here, Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll.
How do I store a finished pumpkin roll?
Once filled and rolled, wrap the finished pumpkin roll tightly in a piece of plastic wrap and then again in a layer of foil. Make sure that the ends are sealed well, this important. After properly wrapping the pumpkin roll you can keep them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or you can freeze them for up to a month.
When ready to serve the pumpkin roll, remove it from the freezer or refrigerator and allow the roll to come to room temperature before serving.
If you love Fall Desserts you might also like these recipes:
- The Original Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake
- Holiday Pie Recipes
- Cranberry-Blueberry Cheesecake
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar to sprinkle on towel
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces mascarpone Cheese or cream cheese
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel, and carefully peel off the paper.
- Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whip cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel and spread cream cheese mixture over cake.***
- Re-roll cake, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.