Everyone loves Pumpkin Roll and my Gluten-Free version is just as good as the all-purpose flour variety. It's easy to make especially when you use a cup for cup GF flour blend found at most grocers.
I love the fall season and I love baking with pumpkin! This year I thought I’d develop a Gluten-Free Pumpkin Roll recipe and I couldn’t have been happier with the results.
The pumpkin roll was moist and delicious and the cream cheese-mascarpone frosting was not too sweet and oh so creamy. I used a cup for cup gluten-free flour blend that you can find in your local grocer or online.
Cup for cup simply means that the blend has been created to mimic All-purpose flour so it can be used as a replacement in most regular recipes.
How do I store a finished pumpkin roll?
Once filled and rolled, wrap the finished pumpkin roll tightly in a piece of plastic wrap and then again in a layer of foil. Make sure that the ends are sealed well, this important. After properly wrapping the pumpkin roll you can keep them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or you can freeze them for up to a month.
When ready to serve the pumpkin roll, remove it from the freezer or refrigerator and allow the roll to come to room temperature before serving.
My pumpkin roll is pretty easy to make. The sponge bakes up nicely and rolling it up, using a towel is a lot easier than you may think. *Just remember to roll up your cake within a few minutes of it coming out of the oven, otherwise it will start to set and won’t roll without cracking.
Once rolled and cooled it’s pretty easy to simply add a layer of cream cheese-mascarpone frosting and re-roll this beauty back up. Roll it up in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Chef Dennis Tip:
I recommend that the cake gets rolled into the towel as soon as it comes out of the oven. When the cake is rolled while warm, the heat and moisture will help keep the cake from cracking. The cake is much more likely to crack if it is rolled when cooled.
Then serve up some deliciousness with a cup of coffee or your favorite beverage and honestly tell me if you can tell that the Pumpkin Roll is Gluten Free!
If you’re looking for another amazing gluten-free recipe try my recipe for the most ah-mazing brownies you’ll ever have.
Feel free to change up the filling, making this pumpkin roll your own signature dessert. The recipe also works perfectly with all-purpose flour.
Just make sure to have the recipe handy to share with your family and friends. They’ll be asking for it for sure!
If you like this recipe you may also like these:
- Gluten-Free Cocoa Brownies
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake
- Gluten-Free Meyer Lemon Coconut Cake for Two
Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar to sprinkle on towel
- 3/4 cup Gluten-Free Flour Blend (Cup for Cup) King Arthur, Bobs Red Mill or your favorite blend.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick.
- Beat in pumpkin.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel, and carefully peel off paper.
- Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end.
- Cool on wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whip cream cheese, mascarpone, powdered sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract, sugar and orange rind and mix together until well blended.
- Carefully unroll cake; remove towel and spread cream cheese mixture over cake.***
- Re-roll cake, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.