How to make Banana Crumb Cake with Pecans and Chocolate Chips for your next brunch or Sunday morning breakfast!
Anytime I bake it’s a wonderful thing, but there’s something special about baking something special for the morning……sigh, especially when it’s a lazy Sunday morning! What could be better than the aroma of freshly baked pastries, muffins or cakes, warm from the oven with a good strong cup of coffee or espresso? Now that’s livin’ my friends!
It never seems to matter how many bananas I buy, at the end of the week I always have a few left over, and trying to find new ways to use them isn’t always easy. As I began to pull ingredients from the cupboard I decided to add a twist to my go-to muffin recipe. I still had some of my favorite cinnamon pecans, thanks to my friends at Amelia’s Spicing Pecans, and what goes better with banana’s than chocolate!
I as I got the chocolate chips out of my pantry, I decided this project was too grand for just muffins, and that I needed to make a breakfast cake ( don’t those words just go together so well, breakfast and cake….sigh). I couldn’t very well use frosting on a breakfast cake, so I did the next best thing and added a crumb topping……
It was glorious!! So moist, and so delicious! The banana didn’t overpower the flavors and the added cinnamon pecans and chocolate chips made every bite a delight! Of course Lisa enjoyed it as well, but she has self-restraint, unfortunately, I do not…..sigh. I enjoyed two large slices with a cup of strong black coffee. Now that’s the way to start the morning!
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour 180 g
- 1/2 cup sugar 100 g
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2.5 g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 2.5 g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2.5 g
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt 110 g, vanilla or plain
- 1/2 cup oil 120 ml
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla powder 15 g, or extract
- 3-4 small bananas mashed very well
- 1 cup of chocolate chips 180 g
- 1 cup of cinnamon pecan pieces 150 g, or regular pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup of flour 90 g
- 3/4 cup of sugar 150 g
- 1 tsp . cinnamon 5 g
- 3 Tbsp softened butter 45 g
- 1 Tbsp water if necessary 15 ml
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add in the Greek yogurt, and oil
- Mix all these ingredients until well blended.
- Mash bananas to a puree consistency and mix into wet ingredients
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix just enough to blend.
- Now fold in the pecans and chocolate chips. (do not overmix)
- Pour cake batter into a prepared 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
- Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon together
- Work in softened butter to a crumb consistency
- (If mixture appears to dry or not crumbly enough add in the water)
- Top cake with crumb mixture and place on the center rack of the oven.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 C) for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow Cake to cool for 5 minutes then carefully remove the outside of the springform pan.
- When cool enough to eat, enjoy!