You’re going to love my Banana Crumb Cake with Pecans and Chocolate Chips for your next Sunday morning breakfast, brunch or just to treat yourself and your family to home-baked deliciousness!
I’m not sure about your house, but it doesn’t matter how many bananas I buy, at the end of the week I always have a few leftover.
Muffins and smoothies are always a good way to use them up, but I decided to make a crumb cake and trust me when I tell you it was a delicious decision!
What Ingredients do I need to make a Banana Crumb Cake?
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients we need to make a Banana Crumb Cake. In Chef Speak this is called the “Mise en Place” which translates to “Everything in its Place”.
Not only does setting your ingredients up ahead of time speed up the cooking process, it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
How do I make Banana Crumb Cake?
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- Add the Greek yogurt, and oil to the eggs.
- Mix all these ingredients until well blended.
- Mash the bananas to a puree consistency.
- Mix the mashed bananas into wet ingredients.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the dry mixture. and mix just enough to blend them together.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together just enough to blend.
- Add the pecans and chocolate chips to the batter.
- Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips into the batter (do not overmix).
- Pour cake batter into a prepared 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
Do I have to use chocolate chips and pecans in the cake?
No, you do not. You can make the banana cake without the extra ingredients or you can swap them out for other types of chips, raisins, craisins or other dried fruit.
How do I make a Crumb Topping for the cake?
- Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon together.
- Add the softened butter to the flour mixture.
- Work the softened butter into the flour mixture until you get a crumb consistency
- Add the crumb topping to the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 C)
- Place the cake on the center rack and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes then carefully remove the outside of the springform pan.
- Let the cake cool for an additional 20 minutes or longer before serving.
Anytime you get to enjoy a baked treat warm from the oven its a good day. And my Banana Crumb Cake is guaranteed to bring smiles to your table. You might even start buying extra bananas so you have an excuse to make this cake!
The cakes are very similar. The major difference is the amount of crumb / streusel topping. Coffee cake has less streusel topping and more cake, while a crumb cake has a thicker and chunkier layer of streusel on top.
There are actually a few reasons your cake turned out dry. The usual reason is baking too long or at too high a temperature The other reason is using the wrong ingredients or making mistakes while mixing the batter. Changing the amounts of ingredients or specific ingredients can lead to a dry cake.
Try adding a little milk to the crumble if it seems to dry. If you have time to put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, this will also help the texture of the crumble.