Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert this banana crumb cake is sure to please! Serve it up with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee and you'll have some happy people at your table.
How to make Banana Crumb Cake with Pecans and Chocolate Chips for your next brunch or Sunday morning breakfast!
Anytime I bake it’s a wonderful thing, but there’s something special about baking something special for the morning……sigh, especially when it’s a lazy Sunday morning! What could be better than the aroma of freshly baked pastries, muffins or cakes, warm from the oven with a good strong cup of coffee or espresso? Now that’s livin’ my friends!
It never seems to matter how many bananas I buy, at the end of the week I always have a few leftover, and trying to find new ways to use them isn’t always easy. As I began to pull ingredients from the cupboard I decided to add a twist to my go-to muffin recipe.
I thought pecans and chocolate chips would make a nice addition to the banana deliciousness.
I as I got the chocolate chips out of my pantry, I decided this project was too grand for just muffins, and that I needed to make a breakfast cake ( don’t those words just go together so well, breakfast and cake….sigh). I couldn’t very well use frosting on a breakfast cake, so I did the next best thing and added a crumb topping……
It was glorious!! So moist, and so delicious! The banana didn’t overpower the flavors and the added pecans and chocolate chips made every bite a delight! Of course Lisa enjoyed it as well, but she has self-restraint, unfortunately, I do not…..sigh. I enjoyed two large slices with a cup of strong black coffee. Now that’s the way to start the morning!
If you love cake as much as I do, you might also like these delicious cake recipes:
- Clementine Cranberry Pound Cake
- Cannoli Pound Cake with White Chocolate Ganache
- Peach Pecan Pound Cake
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Pound Cake (Starbucks Copycat Recipe)
Banana Crumb Cake with pecans and chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt vanilla or plain
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla powder or extract
- 3-4 small bananas mashed very well
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp butter softened
- 1 Tbsp water if necessary
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add in the Greek yogurt, and oil
- Mix all these ingredients until well blended.
- Mash bananas to a puree consistency and mix into wet ingredients
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix just enough to blend.
- Now fold in the pecans and chocolate chips. (do not overmix)
- Pour cake batter into a prepared 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
- Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon together
- Work in softened butter to a crumb consistency
- (If mixture appears to dry or not crumbly enough add in the water)
- Top cake with crumb mixture and place on the center rack of the oven.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 C) for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow Cake to cool for 5 minutes then carefully remove the outside of the springform pan.
- When cool enough to eat, enjoy!