Summertime and the livin’ is easy….
To me it wouldn’t be summertime without cooking up some deliciousness on the grill and in this post I’m going to show you how to have some fun with Skewers as I share three of my favorite skewer recipes.
But don’t worry if you don’t have a grill, a grill pan will work or even your broiler will do, but if you have a grill, get outside and have some fun!
This was my set up for my weekly show Around the Kitchen Table, where I had the prep to make the skewers for my show.
Of Course the finished product looks a lot better than the prep. At the bottom of the plate you see my Tandoori Chicken Skewers, then from left to right Moroccan Vegetable Skewers, and Sweet and Spicy Shrimp Skewers served on a bed of Saffron Rice.
And a close up of those delicious skewers! Grilling really is that easy, and using marinades to add a variety of flavors to your dishes makes dinner not only more interesting but more delicious!
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika (your choice hot, sweet or smoked)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (lightly toasted)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (lightly toasted )
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins (or boneless breasts or thighs cut into strips)
- 1 lb. 16/20 shrimp peeled and deviened (wild caught gulf shrimp)
- ½ Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon crushed pineapple
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Juice from one lime
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup fresh pineapple , peach or mango cubes
- 1 cup red onion chunks
- 1 cup bell pepper chunks
- 2 zucchini (green or yellow), sliced into wheels
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced and separated into 1" pieces
- 1 lb button mushrooms
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon curry
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon light chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ bunch fresh parsley finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Mix all of the ingredients (except for the chicken) and place in a gallon size freezer bag
- Add the chicken to the bag and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight if possible.
- Remove the bag of chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a skewer.
- Grill chicken until cooked, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a large Ziploc freezer bag.
- Combine garlic, ginger, chili paste, soy sauce, pineapple, honey, lime juice, salt, and oil in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
- Set aside half of the marinade and add the mixture over shrimp and refrigerate for two hours.
- Do not marinate too long it will begin to cook the shrimp.
- Place shrimp on skewer alternating with fruit, pepper, and onion
- Brush with remaining marinade and place on lightly oiled grill and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side
- sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve on a bed of rice
- Place all the ingredients into the food processor (except herbs and veggies) Pulse 6-8 times to ensure garlic is minced.
- Place cut veggies into large ziplock freezer bag
- Add chopped parsley and cilantro to mixture and pour into bag, completely coating veggies.
- Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours
- Remove bag from fridge and place veggies on skewers alternating for color.
- Grill over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes turning as needed.
- Serve over rice or grains and enjoy!
1. Soak wood skewers for at least an hour before using so they don't burn as easily
2. Put a light coating of oil onto grill grates to keep skewers from sticking
3. Sometimes indirect heat is a great way to make sure your skewers don't burn. After getting some color on the skewers move to indirect heat to finish cooking.
These recipes can be adjusted to your tastes, if you like other spices add them in, or leave out the ones you don’t like. You can also swap the main ingredients with any other you enjoy eating. Just have fun and enjoy the summer grilling!