With summer in full swing that means we’re into serious ice cream weather, what better way to beat the heat than with a bowl full of my grilled peaches and cream gelato! And just in case you needed another reason July is National Ice Cream Month!
And what better way to celebrate National Ice Cream Month than with my friends at the Mid Atlantic Dairy Association. Whether your favorite frozen treat is Ice Cream, Gelato, or Frozen Yogurt, you can be sure that dairy products have played a part in those creamy frozen concoctions you’re sure to be enjoying over these summer months.
I think it’s safe to say that nothing beats a good peach, and while I’m still waiting for our local peaches, the early peaches I’ve been finding in the markets from different parts of the country have been outstanding! Sweet and juicy full of flavor and with that excellent color and aroma, a peach is an all around perfect fruit.
- 6 large peaches cut in half stone removed (2 cups fruit)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pre-heat your grill
- Using paper towels rub grates with oil so peaches do not stick
- Place peach halves on grill and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until the peach begins to get some color from the caramelization of the sugars
- Turn over and allow the skin side to grill for 5-7 minutes
- Remove from grill and carefully remove them skin from the peaches
- Place peaches in food processor and puree, refrigerate and allow to fully cool
- Place cream, milk, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and using a wire whip mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Mix in peach puree and pour into your gelato or ice cream maker.
- Follow manufacturers instructions for your ice cream maker.
- Allow to fully freeze before serving.
You don’t have to grill your peaches to make my version of peach gelato, but the caramelization of the sugars does enhance the flavors, and takes it to another level of peachy goodness. But if you can’t grill the peaches or if fresh peaches aren’t available in your part of the world, don’t let that stop you from trying this refreshingly delicious frozen treat.
So pull up a chair and enjoy a bowl full of my Peach Gelato as we celebrate National Ice Cream month.