What are you making for breakfast this weekend? Why not try this simple yet elegant breakfast of Waffle Iron French Toast with Nutella, pecans and strawberries. Your family will be glad you did!
Years ago on my first trip to Europe, I discovered the joy of Nutella® hazelnut spread and my life has never been the same.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Nutella®. All opinions and images are 100% my own.
Traveling to France had always been at the top of my bucket list and being able to see it for the first time with the woman who would later become my wife made the journey even more magical.
We brought a suitcase full of products back with us to our home in the states a few jars of Nutella were among those items. We later found out we could buy Nutella locally and I have been creating deliciousness with it for breakfast ever since.
I love to travel and one of the best things about traveling is getting to experience different cultures and different foods. I’m not sure why I’d never heard of Nutella before visiting Paris, but I was very happy to be introduced to that velvety delicious hazelnut spread….. sigh
Over the years I’ve used Nutella in many of my recipes and as an addition to many of my breakfast treats.
So when I was asked by Nutella® to share one of my favorite recipes I decided to come up with something new and use my waffle iron in the process. I’m not sure if you’ve seen the pictures on Instagram or Pinterest but bloggers are using a waffle iron for sandwiches and breakfast items. And making your time in the kitchen fun will result in you spending more time in the kitchen!
So let’s begin with our Waffle Iron Stuffed French Toast by gathering the ingredients we need (also known as the mise en place)
If there is a tricky part to this recipe, you might consider it this step. But it’s really pretty simple if you just take your time. Place the other piece of bread on top of the banana topped slice to complete each portion.
Gently dip the sandwich into the French toast batter, completely covering the entire sandwich.
Gently remove the dipped French toast out of the batter using a spatula. Allow to drain for a few seconds before placing it on the waffle iron.
Place the egg-dipped sandwiches on the waffle iron and close the iron gently. Allow sandwiches to cook on the waffle iron for approximately 4-6 minutes on a high setting or until they become a beautiful golden brown.
With my culinary masterpiece almost complete, all that was left was the spreading of Nutella onto my French Toast.
Adding fresh strawberries and pecans are the crowning touch, making this simple breakfast dish, magazine worthy.
Having fun in the kitchen is all about being creative with your favorite ingredients and I certainly had a good time in the kitchen with this dish. Wouldn’t your family love to wake up to this dish or breakfast? It would also make a great brunch item for your next get together.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like these:
- Cheesy Skillet Breakfast
- Huevos Rancheros
- Waffle Iron Smoked Salmon Quesadilla
- Peaches and Cream Breakfast Cake
Waffle Iron Stuffed French Toast with Nutella® hazelnut spread
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 bananas sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana mashed to puree
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Nutella® hazelnut spread
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted
- Mash banana into a puree. Add milk, eggs, vanilla and salt and whisk until fully blended.
- Place 4 slices of bread on a cookie sheet and add bananas to each slice of bread keeping them about 1/2 an inch from the crust.
- Add top slice of bread
- Dip each prepared sandwich into the egg mixture for 3-4 seconds or enough time to get the bread fully immersed in the egg batter. Do these one at a time.
- Place each sandwich on your waffle iron. If your waffle iron is large enough you can get two on at the same time. Place the sandwich on a diagonal if possible to create an interesting grate pattern.
- Gently remove each french toast sandwich from the waffle iron and place on serving dish and begin to assemble them as you continue cooking the remainder of the French toast.
- Place French toast on a plate, spread Nutella on top of French toast not completely covering the entire top so you can see the waffling.
- Top with pecans, and sliced strawberries. Serve immediately