The rich custard-like filling with the sweet and buttery crust is a perfect flavor combination, to showcase those juicy strawberries! You're going to love this Strawberry Ricotta crostata
Wouldn’t you love a slice or two of this delicious strawberry ricotta crostata? I think it might be safe to say that I have a strawberry obsession, or at least very well on my way to one.
I’m not ashamed, I love strawberries, and I’m beginning to think that they love me too! Those sweet and juicy little bites of heaven, picked at the peak of flavor, just begging to be made into something delicious…….you see strawberries just want to be loved, and to make us happy, what more could you ask of that little berry?
So once again thanks to La Cucina Italiana my strawberry obsession continues, and once again we turn to ricotta cheese to help provide the base for those lovely berries.
This is not your typical ricotta cheesecake type crostata, I would have to describe it as more of a custard than a cheesecake. The mix contains 4 egg yolks to a scant 1 1/4 cup of cheese. The crust is just a little sweet and oh so buttery, a perfect compliment to the custardy like texture of the filling, one might say a match made in heaven, actually Italy, but for me, that’s close enough!
This sweet little crostata is a favorite in our household and if you enjoyed as much as we did you might also like my blueberry peach crostata.
If you’ve tried my Strawberry Ricotta recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Strawberry Ricotta Recipe
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter * very cold and cut into small pieces 1 stick
- 2 Tbsp Ice Water
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla*
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- 3/4 pound strawberries sliced
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- in a food processor pulse flour, sugar and salt 4 or 5 times
- add in cold butter pieces and pulse until flour resembles coarse meal
- add water and pulse
- dump dough into a bowl or on the counter and work it into a ball.
- form disc, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight
- butter a 9 inch tart pan and dust with flour
- on a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to a 12 inch circle
- fit dough into tart pan pressing into the edges, and chill until firm (about 30 min)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C)
- Line the tart pan with parchment with about an inch overhand and fill with pie weights (or dry beans)
- bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- remove parchment and weights, continue to bake until bottom of the crust is a pale golden color and edges are starting to brown (about 5 minutes more)
- Cool shell on wire rack
- reduce oven temp to 350 F(180 C)
- in your mixer beat ricotta and mascarpone until smooth
- add egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest, mix until well combined
- spread filling in cooled tart shell and bake for 35 minutes, rotating tart once during baking
- Tart will be done when a tooth pick inserted in the center of the tart comes out clean
- cool completely on wire rack
- arrange sliced strawberries on the tart in concentric circles , dust the edges with confectioners sugar and remove from tart pan.
- Prepare to amaze your guests!