Everyone loves ravioli. Add a light garlicky shrimp scampi and you've got a delicious combination for your next date night dinner. Why go out to dinner when you can make dishes this delicious in your own home.
You may have never thought of topping ravioli with shrimp scampi but I’m here to tell you its a deliciously perfect flavor combination.
In my restaurant days finding new ways to use products we already had on hand was a bonus. If you came up with a new way to combine products on hand was a win-win situation.
I think I always lean towards using ingredients I enjoyed eating and since I loved ravioli, I used it often in a variety of specials.
Ravioli was fairly inexpensive so that meant I could splurge a little on the other ingredients, and shrimp were always a welcome addition to just about any dish, making an inexpensive average meal into an extra special dinner.
These days you can find fresh pasta including ravioli at most grocery stores. You’ll usually find them in the dairy section. There about as close to homemade unless you make them yourself.
My store carries a nice selection of fresh pasta and although I do prefer the De Cecco brand for most of my pasta needs. But, I always look for fresh ravioli and tortellini in the dairy case.
Lisa couldn’t get over how much she enjoyed this dinner ( I couldn’t believe I had never made it for her before). It just goes to show you how easy it is to make Restaurant Style meals in your own home at a fraction of the cost of going out for dinner.
Just think, this amazing Ravioli Scampi costs less to make per person than the price of most fast-food value meals and takes minutes to prepare. Staying home for dinner doesn’t have to be boring, and not only do you save money, but you eat better. I hope you give this meal a try, just add a loaf of good Italian bread and a salad and you’ll be in heaven.
Since you saved so much on dinner why not buy a bottle of wine and rent a movie, now that’s what I call a great home date night!
Another great scampi dish you might enjoy is my Shrimp Scampi Dip, it’s perfect for your next get-together.
If you’ve tried my Ravioli and Shrimp Scampi recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Ravioli and Shrimp Scampi
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen ravioli of your choice I used Spinach Ricotta
- 8 - extra large shrimp - peeled and deveined I used 16-20 count
- 4 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 10-12 in grape tomatoes sliced half I used tri-color heirloom
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Get water ready for ravioli, mine only took 8 minutes to cook so don't start cooking these until the scampi is almost ready.
- Over medium high heat place a large sauté pan, when it gets hot carefully add the olive oil and then the chopped garlic.
- Allow the garlic to sear for about 15 seconds then add in the shrimp and let them cook for 2-3 minutes until they are almost done.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and add in the mushrooms, sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes then add in the tomatoes and allow them to cook for about 30 seconds.
- *If you are using fresh ravioli this would be the time to add the ravioli to the boiling water
- Add the chicken stock and allow to come back to a low boil, reduce heat .
- Press the butter into the flour getting as much flour pressed in as you can. (this is called a beurre manie) place this into the hot stock and mix together. This will thicken the stock.
- Add the shrimp back in, and finish with the grated Romano cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Turn off the heat and add in chopped parsley
- Drain the Ravioli and place 4-5 ravioli on each plate then top with shrimp and equal amounts of mushrooms, tomatoes and sauce.
- Then sit down to your Restaurant style dinner of Ravioli and Shrimp Scampi!