Let’s make an Italian Hoagie Pizza!
Can you say “Delicioso?” OMG, this pizza did not disappoint! The cheese melted perfectly into the crust, the flavors being even more dramatic where it had browned into that crunchy, cheesy topping everyone always fights over. I’m thinking cheesy flatbread for my next attempt!
Wouldn’t you love a slice or two of my Italian hoagie pizza?
You can change up the meats and cheese on this pizza to make your own signature style pizza.
If you love homemade pizza you might want to try these recipes:
- How to Make Homemade Pizza
- Southern Style Pizza
- Chicken Parm Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Did you make this? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
Italian Hoagie Pizza
- 2 cups all purpose flour 240 gm
- 1 ½ tsp yeast 8 gm
- 1 tsp sea salt 5 gm
- 1 ¼ cup warm water 300 ml
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil 30 ml
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 oz Genoa salami cut into strips
- 2 oz sopressata cut into strips
- 4 oz Italian Blend cheese shredded
- ¼ cup diced fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- sprinkle of sea salt
- sprinkle of black pepper
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil to drizzle after baking
- Place the water, olive oil and yeast in the bowl of your mixer and allow yeast to sit for a few minutes. (Water should be about body temperature)
- Using your dough hook, add the flour and the salt and begin mixing.
- Mix for about two minutes, then turn out the dough onto a floured work area and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- The dough should be fairly dry and elastic when finished kneading.
- Divide dough into two balls, and allow to rest for at least four hours before using it.*
- Dough will rise slightly but you won't see a dramatic change.
- If you are using a grill to bake the pizza, have your stone in the grill heating up before you begin making the pizza.
- When ready to make your pizza, flour your work area and flatten the dough ball**
- As the dough spreads out, make the outer circle of the crust , using your fingers to make the indentations around the circle.
- Begin stretching the dough out until you have about a 12-14 inch circle.
- It's okay if the dough isn't perfectly round. Its rustic!
- Sprinkle some corn meal on your pizza peel and lay the formed dough on the peel.
- Brush the dough liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano, sea salt and black pepper.
- Spread one half of the salami, and sopressata on the pizza dough, then crumble the Land O Lakes® 4 Cheese Italian Blend on top of the pizza. Reserve half of your meats and cheese for after the pizza is baked.
- Place the pizza on the stone in the grill, and close the grill.
- Bake the pizza until the dough has gotten a nice brown color, and the bottom of the pizza is fully cooked.***
- Remove pizza from grill, and top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and the remaining Italian meats.
- Crumble the rest of the Land O Lakes® 4 Cheese Italian Blend on top of the pizza, sprinkle with oregano and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Slice pizza into 6 slices and enjoy!
If you do refrigerate the dough, when you are ready to make your pizza, place one dough ball in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap loosely and allow to warm up and rise for about 45 minutes. You won't see much rise.
** You can use a rolling pin to roll out the dough if you don't want to stretch it out by hand
***Each grill is different but I found that if I get the stone very hot, then turn the burners under the stone down to half heat, while leaving the rest of the grill on high, allowing the pizza bakes a little more slowly and evenly.