You're going to love this over the top fudgy and delicious chocolate cake. And if you leave off the whipped cream it's completely vegan...
This is the most delicious Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake you’ll ever taste!
One of my great childhood memories will always be chocolate cake for breakfast…sigh. It was a wonderful thing! But that was in the days of Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker when mixes somehow began taking the place of homemade cakes. Now I’m not knocking the mixes, everything has its time and place, and they did come up with some pretty darn good cakes. But even as good as they were, they’re not homemade.
I came across an old recipe for a Vegan Chocolate Cake, although at the time they had no idea it was Vegan, or even what a Vegan was, but they knew what delicious was! It was a simple recipe using oil, and vinegar instead of eggs and butter….who knew?
Well evidently those bakers from the depression knew, and when they couldn’t get eggs or butter, they still came up with a recipe for the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had.
With my quest to eat healthier, I’ve been changing my dietary intake whenever possible, using Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream and sour cream, and using coconut oil instead of other oils.
So what could I do but make my favorite chocolate cake of all time, using coconut oil.
I decided to throw a fudge layer in between the layers and used coconut oil instead of butter and it was fudgelicious!
Of course not being Vegan I finished it with mounds of fresh whipped cream…….. it was a beautiful thing!
Of course I made it Vegan first before I slathered on the whipped cream, but either way, you make it I know you’re going to love it!
If you’ve tried my Chocolate Cake recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold water
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon hot coffee
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- With your mixer on low speed beat in the coconut oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the two 9″ prepared pans, coated with pan spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Do not over bake the cake. It should be firm to the touch, and a cake skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Put the cake pans on cooling racks and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans to cool completely.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- mix all ingredients in the bowl of your mixer and whip until well blended
- Place cream, sugar and vanilla in your mixing bowl and whip beginning slowly and increasing speed until cream forms stiff peaks
- place one layer on cake plate and add layer of chocolate fudge.
- place second layer on cake and fill in any spots in the chocolate fudge layer.
- coat sides of cake with chocolate fudge (wet the blade of your spatula while smoothing it will help)
- top cake with whipped cream, cut and serve!