You won't be able to tell these brownies are Gluten Free. The only thing anyone will say will be can I have another. These Cocoa Brownies are the best you'll ever have!
What’s not to love about Brownies? Rich and Chocolaty. Ooey, gooey and oh so delicious! Now when those same Brownies are Gluten Free it’s an added bonus.
Although I’m no longer 100% gluten free, I still try to eliminate gluten from my diet whenever possible and anything including chocolate is oh so easy to make Gluten Free!
I’ve tried a number of GF flours but my favorite is Chef Bob’s Gluten Free flour Blend that he lovingly crafted to work cup for cup as a substitute for regular all purpose flour. And since I had some of Chef Bob’s Flour on hand I decided to make my favorite brownie recipe using GF flour.
The only difference I saw was in the cooking time and honestly, I think I overcompensated and left my delicious brownies in the oven too long…..my bad
The good news was they were still OMG delicious, soft and oh so chocolaty!
Of course, you can use this recipe to make non-gluten free brownies by simply replacing the GF flour with regular all-purpose flour. I would suggest cutting your cooking time back a few minutes checking your brownies at 22 minutes.
If you’re looking for another OMG delicious gluten-free recipe try out my GF Pumpkin Roll. And it doesn’t have to be the fall to make something delicious with pumpkin!
If you’ve tried my Gluten Free Brownie recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook
Gluten Free Cocoa Brownies adapted from Alice Medrich's Brownie recipe
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1¼ cup sugar 250 gm
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 105 gm
- ¼ teaspoon salt 1.5 gm
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2.5 ml
- 2 cold large eggs
- ½ cup Gluten Free Flour blend or All purpose flour for non GF 60 gm, cup for cup
- ⅔ cup pecans or walnuts or nut free 100 gm, chopped
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips* 75 gm
- ½ cup Milk Chocolate Chips 75 gm
- ½ Cup White Chocolate Chips 75 gm
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and get a 9″ square baking pan.
- Line the baking pan with parchment or aluminum foil with an overhang on opposite sides so you can lift out the brownies from the pan.
- Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a heat proof bowl and place it over a small sauce pot with simmering water, to create a double boiler.
- Stir until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool just a little bit.
- Add the vanilla and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one (I’m not too sure just how vigorously you can stir chocolate with a wooden spoon but give it a go).
- When the batter looks thick, shiny and well blended add the flour and stir until you can no longer see it , and then beat it vigorously for 40 strokes with your wooden spoon.
- Add the nuts and chocolate chips and spread evenly in your baking pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out slightly moist with batter. If you're making regular non GF brownies check them at 22 minutes
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- After the they have cooled lift the brownies out of the pan and gently remove the foil or parchment from the sides of the brownies.
- Cut the brownies into squares and enjoy!!