When you find fresh Maryland Jumbo Lump crab meat in the store, this Pasta Fresca is the perfect meal to showcase the crabmeat.
When I went shopping this week, I found one of my favorite ingredients back in stock after being MIA all winter, jumbo lump crabmeat. And that definitely means that summer is on its way!
Of course, we won’t talk about what I paid for it, or the fact that it really wasn’t all jumbo lump but more lump, because it was still fresh Maryland blue claw crabmeat, and my friends it was delicious!
Lisa had asked for a white sauce but not to oily, so instead of a typical Aioli sauce, I decided to keep this pasta dish a little on the dry side by tossing it with the seasoned olive oil rather than dousing it with sauce.
The result was a fresh lightly oiled pasta dish where all of the ingredients retained their individual flavors. The perfect meal to showcase that wonderful crab meat!
Pasta Fresca is really just garlic, and tomatoes sauteed in olive oil, seasoned with a little crushed red pepper flakes and sea salt, but as is the case with most Italian dishes, there are as many variations as there are Italian Grandmothers. This is simply my very basic interpretation of this classic dish, so feel free to make changes!
If you love pasta dishes as much as I do you might also like my recipe for Pasta alla Caponata.
If you love pasta dishes you might also like these:
- Pasta alla Caponata
- Classic Fettuccine Alfredo
- Lobster fra Diavolo Bianco
- Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs
Spaghetti Fresca with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat
- 12 ounces jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 Tbsp basil chopped with some reserved for serving.
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus a drizzle for the pasta
- sea salt to taste to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 12 oz spaghetti or linguine
- Prepare pasta water and cook pasta per instructions on the box*
- In one saute pan add half the olive oil and the garlic and saute the garlic just until it starts to sizzle and cook
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and continue cooking the tomatoes over high heat for a few minutes until they begin to break down, then reduce the heat to low and add crushed red pepper and sea salt*
- Add the basil to the tomatoes and allow to continue cooking on simmer.
- In another pan, add the rest of the oil and get it hot, then add in the crab meat and very gently saute it over a medium heat, until crab meat is warm. (you may need to add a little water or white wine if your drinking some to release the crab meat from the pan)
- When the pasta is done, drain it and then toss it with the tomato-garlic oil until all the pasta is well coated and then divide into two portions.
- Top each portion with the Jumbo lump Crab Meat
- Top with additional basil and drizzle the best olive oil you have over the crab meat and pasta.
- Serve immediately!
*you will need to oversalt the tomatoes just a little bit otherwise the dish will be a little flat.