Your family and friends definitely won't say Chicken Again, when you serve up this delicious dish.
Perk up your weeknight dinner menu with my Smoky Roasted Chicken with Chickpeas and Brussels Sprouts!
There must be a million ways to make chicken and if you think of it more as a challenge instead of a chore you can come up with some pretty delicious ways to serve the most economical meal you can make. Chicken it’s what’s for dinner. And you approach the challenge makes all the difference in the world!
For my Smoky Roasted Chicken were taking a barbecue approach to this recipe by creating a spice blend to rub into the chicken. I also chose to take a different (and healthy) approach to the vegetables by using Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas as two of the ingredients in this dish.
Of course, I had to throw in a few potatoes and onions to add some starch and a little more flavor, but you can add your favorites to the roasting pan and it will still be delicious! Remember a recipe is a guide and how you adapt it to your needs is what keeps your family happy.
If you’ve tried my Smoky Roasted Chicken recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you enjoyed it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Smoky Roasted Chicken with Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 whole chicken cut into quarters fat trimmed and back removed
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas drained, rinsed and dried
- 2 large potatoes diced
- 1 large onion diced
- Olive oil as needed
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mist a large rimmed nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the spices.
- Rub the mixture all over the chicken, gently lifting the skin where you can and seasoning the meat underneath as well(do not remove skin).
- Set aside as you prepare the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, add Brussels sprouts, chickpeas, potatoes and onions. Add a little extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Add prepared vegetables to a large baking dish, spreading evenly in the dish.
- Place Chicken pieces on top of vegetables, leaving a little room between pieces. (don't overcrowd the pan)
- Place in preheated oven and roast for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
- Serve and enjoy!