What could be better than Sweet Succulent Pan Seared Scallops served with a fresh corn medley blended with peaches and rice? Summertime just got better.
Let’s make Pan Seared Scallops!
It’s officially summertime and that means eating lighter. But that doesn’t have to mean eating less delicious meals, on the contrary with all the fresh produce in the markets there’s an abundance of flavors available for you to share with your family and friends. For this recipe, I blended together sweet corn and rice to make the side dish. But you could always use your favorite vegetable and grain to serve with my pan seared scallops. Just think of the possibilities.
In recipe development it’s about the presentation as much as it is the flavor. So don’t be afraid to experiement and create your masterpiece for dinner.
It’s no secret that I love seafood, especially shellfish and although I don’t serve scallops as often as I would like, they’re still high on my list of seafood favorites. Scallops are very versatile, you can grill them, broil them, pan sear them, or fry them (I’m starting to sound like Bubba Gump). Anyway, you make them they come delicious, just don’t overcook them.
What I like most about pan searing is that its relatively quick and that you can season your scallops with your favorite of spices, or simply sea salt and black pepper. You don’t need a sauce and the only thing you need to be careful about is overcooking them and having them be tough and rubbery. For my taste slightly underdone is always better than overcooked.
You’ll find that most restaurants serve them a little on the underdone side, and they’re perfectly fine to eat that way. So dig in and enjoy! And you liked this recipe, you might also enjoy my recipe for Red Snapper in Parchment.
If you’ve tried my Pan Seared Scallops recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Pan Seared Scallops with a Summer Corn Medley - Around the Kitchen Table
- 1 lb fresh sea scallops cleaned
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning or your favorite seasoning
- 1 cup cooked seasoned rice
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 peach skin on small dice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coat scallops with seasoning on both sides, press seasoning into scallop
- In a saute pan with very little oil, sear the scallops on both sides for good color, do not move them to check until you begin to see a little browning on the edges
- Check to make sure Scallops are done (they will no longer be translucent) and serve on a bed of the Corn Medley
- While scallops are cooking in a saute pan add the butter, and allow to melt.
- Add corn and red peppers to pan and saute for 5 minutes until partially cooked.
- Add rice to corn and continue cooking on low until the scallops are done (you may need to add a little water to the pan)
- Right before serving add in the diced nectarine and on high heat saute for a minute or two.
- Add chopped cilantro and toss mixture.
- Place a large spoonful of the Summer medley on a serving plate and arrange scallops on top.
- Pour any juice from the pan over the scallops and serve immediately