My Ligurian seafood stew with pan seared scallops, shrimp, flounder, jumbo lump crab meat and roasted vegetables topped with a delicate basil saffron cream will wow your guests.
Try my restaurant-style dinner in your home this weekend.
How to make Ligurian Seafood Stew.
For the seafood, I seared the scallops, and shrimp but broiled the flounder. I steamed the mussels with a little olive oil, and heated the jumbo lump crabmeat in butter so every item would retain its flavor!
The sauce started with the juices left from cooking the mussels. Adding basil and saffron seemed like a good choice to bring the flavors together.
I have to tell you, it’s hard to surprise myself with something I cooked, but this dish was incredible if I do say so myself, the only thing I would have changed would have been my choice of pasta, I used pappardelle, and a thinner noodle would have gone better with this dish.
If you’ve tried my Ligurian Seafood Stew or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
Ligurian Seafood Stew with a Basil Saffron Creme Sauce
- 4 oz flounder or fish of your choice
- 4 oz shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 oz Sea Scallops
- 1/2 lb mussels
- 1/4 lb jumbo lump or lump crabmeat
- 1 bulb fennel sliced sliced
- 2 stalks celery stew cut
- 2 carrots stew cut
- 2 potatoes stew cut
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion stew cut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
Basil -saffron cream sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 pound of linguine or spaghetti
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook pasta al dente per instruction on box, then set aside
- cut vegetables and place in roasting pan with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat with oil and seasonings
- roast for 20-25 minutes
- place flounder on baking pan drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, add a little water to the pan and bake for 20 minutes
- add mussels to saute pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil, cover with lid or another pan and allow to steam open (about 8 minutes)
- let mussels cool then remove from shells and place in a bowl, and discard shells, but save the juices in the pan!
- add heavy cream, 3/4 of the basil, and the saffron to the mussels juices, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, allow sauce to reduce by 1/3
- get a saute pan very hot with a little oil and sear the scallops until you get some crusting for color, cook on each side and remove from pan.
- Sear shrimp until almost done, remove from pan
- In another saute pan, gently heat the crabmeat
Bring it all together
- timing is everything with this dish, vegetables, and flounder should be done.
- reheat pasta in a pan with a little olive oil or return to boiling water briefly, which ever method you prefer.
- Place scallops, shrimp, and mussels in saute pan and reheat gently but quickly, in just a little oil or water.
- take the butter and roll it in the flour to make a beurre manie and place in the sauce to finish thickening*
- Place pasta in a mound at the bottom of a bowl or center of a plate
- place roasted vegetables around outside pasta
- place flounder in center of pasta
- pour sauce over flounder, splitting it evenly between the two dishes
- place scallops and shrimp around the flounder
- sprinkle with remaining basil and serve immediately!