It wasn’t until many years later that I learned to make this dessert with ladyfingers. I had been the Chef at an Italian restaurant that had been sold, and as it is in some cases, I went along with the pots and pans. The new owners changed the menu from Italian to Italian / French and I would be responsible for the desserts (I was forced to learn to bake) The new owner had only asked me if I could prepare 3 menu items, Cream of Crab Soup, Rack of Lamb and Tiramisu. My rack of lamb was said to be better than Le Bec Fin, and my crab soup was legendary……..but as far as I knew (or could remember) I had never made Tiramisu.
What I came up with was quite a different product than you will see today, I think saying it had a velvety texture would have been a good way to describe it, but it was too loose for anything but a dessert glass. Luckily it was delicious and well received. I have played with that recipe over the years, but it never really set the way I wanted it to………and then I remembered, it all came back to me.
What I am going to share with you today is a blend of Mama’s “Taste of Heaven” and my Tiramisu,
It came out better than I could have expected, and is now my standard for Tiramisu…..well, at least until I get back to Rome! I hope you enjoy it .
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 -7oz packages Italian Lady fingers
- 1 cup cold espresso
- ½ cup coffee flavored Liqueur (optional)
- 1 tbsp cocoa for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 9 inch square baking dish (or container similarly sized)
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
- Repeat process with another layer of lady fingers and cream.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa before serving