After gorging myself on cherries every night for the past few days, I finally decided to bake something while I still had a few on hand. I didn’t want to make anything too decadent or sweet today so I my turned to muffins, or as I like to think of them “almost cupcakes”.
I have a good go to recipe for muffins, which has seen a quite a few variations over the years, and has yet to fail me. The muffins were perfect, a delightful crumb, not too sweet with just a little bit of crunch on the exterior.
Feel free to change them up a bit, but the base recipe is a keeper and should be filed away for further use.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
- 1½ cup (180 g) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 g) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 g) baking soda
- ½ cup(120 g) low fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) vanilla powder or pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zest (grated) and a good squeeze of juice
- 2 cups (300 g) sweet cherries (fresh or frozen) pitted and cut in half
- ½ cup (75 g) granola for topping
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in one bowl (including Vanilla Powder)
- Lightly beat the eggs and add in the Greek Yogurt, oil, lemon zest, and juice from the lemon. Mix all these ingredients until well blended.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix just enough to blend.
- Fold in the Cherries into the muffin mix. (donot over mix; it will make the muffins tough)
- Sprinkle the tops with granola.
- Bake for 25-30minutes at 350 degrees until the tops are golden brown.
- This will yield 6 large muffins or 12 small muffins