You gotta love an Italian Strawberry Cream Cake. I still remember the first day I made this delicious cake with Mama Jeanette. We had just picked a few flats of strawberries from her garden and decided to treat ourselves with something sweet.
updated from original post of May 14, 2014
Fresh strawberries, mixed into a mascarpone whipped cream frosting makes this an Italian version of a strawberry shortcake.
What ingredients do I need to make an Italian Strawberries and Cream Cake?
Let’s start by gathering the ingredients we need to make an Italian Strawberries and Cream Cake. In Chef Speak this is called the “Mise en Place” which translates to “Everything in its Place”.
Not only does setting your ingredients up ahead of time speed the up cooking process, but it also helps ensure you have everything you need to make the dish.
How do I make a Sponge Cake?
The first step is preparing the sponge cake.
Whisk the eggs, yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla together by hand in the bowl of your electric mixer, then place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 120 degrees.
Do not overheat this mixture or the eggs will not whip properly.
Place the bowl back onto your mixer and using the whip attachment whip the eggs at high speed until they are light in color and increased in volume.
You should be able to make a line in the eggs and have it remain briefly.
While you are whipping your eggs measure out your flour and cornstarch, use a strainer with an open mesh to sift the mixture together.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and sift ⅓ of the mixture into the eggs, and fold it into the eggs using a rubber spatula. Make sure you go to the bottom of the bowl frequently, the flour will settle to the bottom.
- Repeat this procedure with flour, ⅓ at a time until it is all folded in.
Divide the mixture into two prepared baking pans, tilt the pans in a circular motion and bring the batter close to the top as it goes around, this will help prevent the cake from crowning.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes until the cake is well risen and firm to the touch. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool, then run a sharp knife around the edges to help it release from the pan, and place on a plate to finish cooling.
Split the layers in half with a serrated knife and set aside until needed.
How do I make Italian Strawberries and Cream?
- In the bowl of a mixer add the mascarpone and vanilla, whip until smooth and creamy then add in the strawberry puree and mix until well blended.
- Move the strawberry mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the heavy cream in your mixer, and pour in the envelope of gelatin and allow it to sit for one minute. Then start whipping the cream slowly and building up the speed gradually so the cream is not overworked.
- Fold the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate the strawberry cream for about 30 minutes to let it set.
Start with one of your split layers and add a layer of strawberry cream.
*I used a pastry bag with a plain large tip. You can also just spread on the cream with a spatula and decorate the top as fancy as you like using a star tip.
Repeat the process with the other cake layers and repeat until all the layers are used.
This is a great cake decorating set for beginners or experienced bakers that will have you creating amazing cakes and cupcakes in your kitchen.
If you’re not up to splitting the layers or just want to use less cream, or just whipped cream, feel free to adapt the recipe and have fun with this wonderfully delicious cake! Any way you serve it your family will love it.
If you’re not a strawberry fan, try making this cake blackberries, raspberries, peaches or nectarines.