It’s officially summertime and that means eating lighter. But that doesn’t have to mean eating less delicious meals, on the contrary with all the fresh produce in the markets there’s an abundance of flavors availble for you to share with your family and friends.
So’ don’t be afraid to experiment and blend ingredients together.
It’s no secret that we love seafood, especially shellfish and although we don’t have it as often we do love scallops. Grilled or Seared they’re always a welcome addition to my table.
What I like most about pan searing is that its realively quick and that you can season your scallops with your favorite of spices, or simply sea salt and black pepper. You don’t need a sauce and the only thing you need to be careful about is overcooking them and having them be tough and rubbery. For my taste slightly underdone is always better than overcooked.
- 1 lb. fresh Sea Scallops (cleaned)
- 1 tbsp. Cajun Seasoning (or your favorite seasoning)
- 1 cup of Cooked seasoned Rice
- 1 cup of fresh corn kernels
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 peach small dice, skin on
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. Cilantro finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coat scallops with seasoning on both sides, press seasoning into scallop
- In a saute pan with very little oil, sear the scallops on both sides for good color, do not move them to check until you begin to see a little browning on the edges
- Check to make sure Scallops are done (they will no longer be translucent) and serve on a bed of the Corn Medley
- While scallops are cooking in a saute pan add the butter, and allow to melt.
- Add corn and red peppers to pan and saute for 5 minutes until partially cooked.
- Add rice to corn and continue cooking on low until the scallops are done (you may need to add a little water to the pan)
- Right before serving add in the diced nectarine and on high heat saute for a minute or two.
- Add chopped cilantro and toss mixture.
- Place a large spoonful of the Summer medley on a serving plate and arrange scallops on top.
- Pour any juice from the pan over the scallops and serve immediately