What do you do when Chobani sends you 12 lbs of that delicious Greek Yogurt they make? Well first you sit down and enjoy a bowl full with fresh berries and granola……sigh
And then you bake! At least that’s what I did, and it seemed like a good place to get started. It really was a no brainer, after all Greek yogurt works so well in baked goods, it improves the flavor, the texture and density of just about any cake or muffin with the added bonus of being low fat. To me that’s a win-win situation.
I decided to make this a European style cake, not overly sweet perfect for dunking in coffee or espresso or eating on the run. Which is exactly how I enjoyed it every morning as I drove to work. I did use olive oil so my cake did have a slight olive oil flavor that I thought blended perfectly with the orange. But if you’re not a fan of olive oil simply substitute your favorite oil.
Now if you’re looking to impress or just to treat yourself, serve up this light flavorful cake with home made whipped cream and fresh berries, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
- 1½ cups low fat Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 1½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp orange zest (finley zested)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a springform pan by buttering the sides of the pan and using a parchment circle on the bottom (butter the parchment as well)
- Mix together the flour, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda in mixing bowl
- In a larger bowl, add the Greek yogurt, olive oil, sugar, eggs orange juice, orange zest and vanilla, blend well.
- Add in the dry ingredients mixing just enough until well blended with no visible lumps
- Pour the batter into your prepared springform pan and place in your preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cake should have a rich golden brown color, if it looks as though the cake is getting too brown you can cover it with foil.
- Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on wire rack ,then remove the outside of the springform pan, allowing to cool for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the bottom and parchment and serve warm with home made whipped cream and fresh berries.
Thanks so much for stopping by today, have a wonderful week my friends.