The holidays are coming and no matter how you celebrate, it means a time for family and friends to gather. And what better way to celebrate the season than by sharing a meal. I’m always looking for something new to make, something to impress my guests not only with a delicious meal but a beautifully presented meal.
The old saying is “we eat with our eyes” and that my friends is the truth! No matter how good a dish may taste, if the appearance is less than stellar, the flavors will not be appreciated. So as you prepare your holiday feast, keep that in mind.
Salmon is not one of my favorite dishes, so when I prepare it, I challenge myself to make it flavorful and beautiful so that I don’t mind eating it. I know if I’ve succeeded, then my guests that already like salmon will be blown away! I think this dish may qualify for that category.
As you know, in an effort to eat more healthy, I’ve been working with Kelapo Coconut Oil, these past few months. Cutting back where I can, and using healthier ingredients where ever I can. One thing I’ve learned for certain is that I like coconut oil, especially Kelapo!
I’ve also learned how easy it is to use Kelapo Coconut Oil in place of other oils and even butter. So for this dish, I went all out and it was amazing! I hope you enjoy my Pistachio Encrusted Salmon served on a bed of wilted spinach tossed with a sundried tomato pesto all made using Kelapo Coconut oil.
- 1 cup reconstituted sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup (40 gm) pine nuts
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Kelapo Extra Virgin coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic -peeled
- 1 tbs (15 g) grated romano cheese
- 4 8 oz (230 g each) salmon fillets
- 1 cup (150 g) pistachio’s
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) Kelapo Coconut Oil
- 12 oz (340 g) baby spinach leaves
- reconstitute the sundried tomatoes in warm water
- In the bowl of your food processor, add the sundried tomatoes, garlic clove, grated cheese and pine nuts. Pulse until fully blended and finely chopped.
- Add Kelapo Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, and pulse until well blended*
- pulse pistachio’s in food processor until chopped with some finely ground
- Using half the kelapo coat topside of the salmon fillet (keep the kelapo solid for this application)
- Press salmon into pistachio’s, covering topside of fillet completely, continue till all four fillets have been finished.
- Heat skillet over high heat and add remainder of Kelapo coconut oil
- Gently place salmon, nut side down and sear for about 2 minutes, until nuts have browned.
- Very gently turn salmon over and repeat process.
- Place salmon in baking dish with a little water and place in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. (replace any nuts that may have fallen off, making a nice top layer of pistachio’s on the fillet)
- While salmon is finishing cooking, place 4 tablespoons of sundried pesto into sauce pan and warm gently ( add a little more coconut oil if mixture is not loose enough)
- Right before serving toss sundried pesto mixture with spinach leaves coating very well, until spinach begins to wilt.
- Divide spinach between 4 plates and top with salmon fillet.
- Serve immediately
Now that was one delicious piece of salmon and it looked as good as it tasted! Whether you’re entertaining or just turning a family meal into a special event, everyone’s going to love this salmon, just make sure to tell them after dinner how good that meal was for them, and that they have Kelapo Coconut Oil to thank for that!