One of my favorite things about this time of year is how often pumpkin is used and how creative the recipes are! There are so many talented bloggers coming up with new and exciting uses for pumpkin. It almost makes you wish we used it all year long, but then I guess it wouldn’t be that special anymore…..sigh
I have to admit, for the most part I only use pumpkin in baking, pies, cakes, and of course cheesecakes. I’m definitely not re-inventing the wheel here, but Lisa loves pumpkin pie and she enjoys a good a cheesecake, so I thought why not combine the two and see what she thinks of the combination.
Now I couldn’t just make a plain pumpkin cheesecake, it needed a little something to make it extra special. Too me that meant a pecan praline topping.
So of course I went to my pantry to see what I could add to the praline to give it a little extra boost. As luck would have it I had a can of dulce de leche in my pantry, and of course a bottle of Jack Daniels to give it just a little kick!
- 20 digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- 6 Tbsp (90 g) butter - melted
- 4 8-ounce (227 g each pack) packs cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cup (270 g) brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3 Tbsp (45 g) flour
- 2 tsp (10 g) cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 g) allspice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- ¾ tsp (4 g) salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 16-ounce can (450 g) solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 8 ounce (150 g) chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup (60 g) brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) bourbon or vanilla
- 3 Tbsp (45 g) dulce de leche or caramel
- place digestives or graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and process into a fine meal. Place in a mixing bowl
- Add melted butter and mix together to make the crust
- Press mixture onto bottom and up the side of the springform pan one inch to two inches. (2.5 - 5 cm)
- Bake in 350 degree (177 C) oven for about 15 minutes, until firm. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In your stand mixer add cream cheese and beat just until smooth
- Slowly add in the brown sugar, scrape down the sides of bowl
- Add in flour, cinnamon, allspice, salt, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin, mix for 2 -3 minutes until well blended and smooth.
- Pour cheesecake mixture into prepared crust and place in 350 degree (177 C) preheated oven for one hour.
- After the hour, turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven for one additional hour
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on wire rack
- Place in refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours (overnight is better)
- After the cheesecake has completely chilled begin praline topping
- in a saute pan or sauce pan add brown sugar, and corn syrup, heat unticorn syrup is well blended into the sugar
- Add in pecans and let the mixture brown slightly
- Add in dulce de leche or caramel and continue to simmer until thickened
- Pour mixture onto top of cheesecake spreading evenly and return to the refrigerator to allow praline to cool and harden.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream and enjoy!
My pumpkin cheesecake was a success, especially the praline topping! It got two thumbs up from Lisa and rave reviews from my neighbors. I know I can always count on my neighbors to help me out, God only knows I don’t need all those calories….sigh.
But if you’re looking for a delicious and creamy cheesecake for your fall table to impress your family, or to just make a weeknight a special occasion why not give myu Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake a try. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed! Just make sure to whip up a batch of fresh whipped cream to go along with it! It’s not a party without the whipped cream!
I’d like to thank my friends at the Mid Atlantic Dairy Association for sponsoring this post and for their continued support, when you have a chance stop the DairySpot and while your there check out their Holiday Recipes as they get into the season with a collection of Recipes for Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving and even Christmas!! You also have a few days left to enter the giveaway for their Breakfast Gift Pack, but you better hurry up because you only have until the 26th to enter to win!
Hope your week is going well my friends and that where ever in the world you are the weather is favorable! Take care, and see you all real soon!