These easy to make cheese pizza roll ups are the perfect lunch or after to school snack for your student, just don't forget the pizza sauce for dipping!
Seven Cheese Pizza Roll ups are a fast and easy school lunch or after school snack.
I’ve been working on another project and had to come up with an easy pizza dough, and that’s when it hit me! Pizza roll-ups, and since it is back to school season I thought this would make a great addition for this year’s lunchbox.
Now don’t get too excited, I know busy moms and dads don’t have time to put together 7 different cheese’s and the great thing is you don’t have to! You can find some great Italian cheese combinations at your favorite supermarket offered by most of the major cheesemakers. But don’t limit yourself to just the Italian blends, with all the different shredded cheese’s on the market you can change the flavors every time you make these!
I know how hectic life can get, so if you don’t have time to make your own pizza dough, you can find it for sale at a lot of supermarkets, (if they don’t sell fresh dough, check the frozen section). I used a little gorgonzola in my roll ups for an extra bit of zing, bleu cheese would work well too, but it your kids aren’t fans leave it out.
For a change up, try a Mexican blend of cheese and instead of pizza sauce use salsa. But whichever version you decide to make your student will be the envy of all of those around him, as they devour all of that glorious cheese!!
These also make a great snack for after school or a quick dinner, especially if you make up a bunch and freeze them. They’ll be ready in minutes when you don’t have time to cook!
You can make individual size pizza roll ups and leave them whole like a Stromboli, or make a large one and slice it down. They taste great at room temperature, but if it gets too chilly a quick pop in the microwave just to warm them up a bit will work wonders on these cheesy wonders! Just don’t forget to pack a little of your favorite pizza sauce for dipping! You might also enjoy my easy to make homemade pizza recipe.
If you’ve tried my Pizza Roll ups recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook
Seven Cheese Pizza Roll Ups
Easy Pizza Dough
- 3½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup water
- 1¾ tsp active dry yeast
- 1¼ tsp sugar
- 1¾ tsp ea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Assembly of Pizza Roll ups
- 2 cups shredded cheese blend*
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles or Bleu Cheese optional
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
Easy Pizza Dough
- In your stand mixer bowl, add 1 ¼ cups of warm water (100 -105 degrees F)
- Sprinkle dry active yeast and sugar on top of water, allow to sit for 10 minutes until yeast gets creamy
- In another bowl, mix flour with sea salt
- Add flour to yeast mixture and using a dough hook, mix until a coarse ball has formed on the dough hook (approx., 2-3 minutes)
- Allow dough to rest in bowl, with a damp towel covering the bowl, for 5 minutes.
- Continue to mix using dough hook on medium to low speed for about 2 more minutes
- (if the dough is too sticky to hold its shape add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until its firm enough. If the dough is too dry add water one tablespoon at a time until moist enough)
- Coat a bowl with extra virgin olive oil and place the dough into the bowl and coat dough with olive oil, place a damp kitchen towel over the bowl and allow to rise for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into 2 dough balls and place on a floured surface and cover with a damp kitchen towel (not terry) and allow to rise until doubled in size (about 2 hours)
Assembly of Pizza Roll Ups
- Take one piece of dough and roll out using a rolling pin to about 12 inches by 8 inches (30 x 20 cm)
- Spread pizza sauce over top of dough leaving about a one inch border around the edges.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly across the dough
- Starting at the long side roll up the dough keeping it fairly tight.
- When you get to the end seal the ends by brushing water and pinching the dough together. (it's important to get a good seal so the cheese does not leak out)
- Seal ends of the dough by pinching them together.
- Brush entire length of pizza roll up with a lightly beaten egg
- Place in 350 degree oven (177 C) and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the outside of the dough is a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- serve with your favorite pizza sauce for dipping!
** I used Dom Peppino pizza sauce