One of the first things I teach my girls in Culinary Class is how to make Artisan Bread, it’s fast, it’s easy and it’s pretty much foolproof! Well now I have another lesson to add, and that is for the easiest, tastiest Brioche dough I have ever made! Now I can say that with a great amount of confidence, because its the only brioche dough I’ve ever made, and If I can make it, believe me anyone can!
I was truly amazed the first time I made these rolls, so much so that I had to make them again just to be sure it wasn’t beginners luck, and it wasn’t. Its a simple fool proof recipe, that only needed a little tweaking to get it where I thought it should be. Of course the dough is great for just plain Brioche rolls too, or a nice loaf of bread! The recipe I’m going to give you will make a few batches of these beauties or what ever type of roll you decide to make, and the nice thing is the dough holds up for 5 days!
If you haven’t already picked up a copy of Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day, I couldn’t think of a better reason than these Caramel Pecan Rolls! Trust me this is just a teaser of all the great recipes you’re going to find inside this book, and if you’ve always been afraid to make bread or your own cinnamon buns like I was, your going to look like a superstar with these rolls! Just make sure you make a full batch of this dough, because your family is going to devour them!
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- 1½ Tbsp granulated yeast (2 packets)
- 1½ Tbsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 8 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup honey
- 1½ Cups unsalted butter, melted (3 sticks)
- 7½ cups all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Karo syrup or Honey
- 30 Pecan halves (or as many as needed)
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup toasted and chopped pecans (optional)
- pinch of ground black pepper
- Mix the yeast, salt, water in the bowl of your mixer, mix well
- Add in eggs, honey and melted butter, and continue to mix until well blended
- Add in flour and using your dough hook, incorporate all the flour, mix just enough so that all the flour is mixed in.
- The dough may look loose and wetter than you think it should be, it may also look like it has lumps, that’s ok.
- Transfer dough to another bowl, cover with a towel and allow to sit and rise for two hours.
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours, before making the rolls*
- For topping cream butter,salt and brown sugar, spread evenly over the bottom of a 9 inch cake pan, then scatter pecan halves over the topping and set aside.
- Using floured hands cut out a 1½ lb piece of brioche dough.
- Dust dough with more flour and shape into a ball by stretching the dough around and under in quarter turns until it is fully shaped.
- Using a rolling in roll out the dough int a ⅛ inch thick rectangle (about 12″x8″) add flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin or surface.*
- While dough is resting cream butter, cinnamon and sugar, then spread the mixture evenly over the dough and if you’re using pecans in the filling add them now by sprinkling them over the filling.
- Start rolling the dough along the long side of the dough, so you end up with a roll.
- If the dough feels to soft to cut, allow it to chill for about 20 minutes.
- When dough is ready , with a serrated knife, cut the log into 8 equal pieces and place in prepared cake pan.
- Cover with plastic and allow to rise for 1 hour*
- Place rolls in a 350 degree preheated oven, and bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown and set in the center.
- Run a knife around the sides of the pan and turn out the rolls onto a platter immediately*1
- Serve the rolls and get ready for rave reviews
When I first made these rolls, I had no idea how a brioche dough would turn out or even if it would. I definitely had no idea it would be so good! These are just like the best Pecan rolls I ever had, light and fluffy, and so flavorful, I had left them to cool while I ran an errand, and I got a text message from Lisa that simply read ” Incredible”….lol, if that doesn’t say it all I don’t know what does.
Have a great week my friends, eat something decadent and do something fun and totally unexpected, but what ever you do, don’t work too hard!