When it comes to comfort food my Homestyle Chicken Stew is definitely a dish your family will love! It's easy to make and very adaptable to what you have on hand.
- 24 ounces chicken thighs- boneless skinless cleaned and cut into chunks, dusted with seasoned flour
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and cut into chunks (3-4 medium potatoes)
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced (1 large carrot)
- 1 cup celery trimmed and sliced (4-5 stalks)
- 1 cup onion peeled and large dice (1 medium onion)
- 2 cups mushrooms washed and sliced (8 ounces mushrooms)
- ½ cup green peas froxen or fresh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Dredge cut-up chicken pieces in flour seasoned with sea salt and black pepper
Add olive oil to a large saute pan and let the pan get very hot before adding floured chicken
Saute the chicken 3-4 minutes or until golden brown over medium-high heat, When the chicken has been seared on all sides, remove from the pan and set aside until needed.
Add the butter to the same pan and add the cut up celery, onions, mushrooms and carrots to the pan. Saute for 5-6 minutes over medium heat to allow the vegetables to caramelize.
Add flour to the pan to make a roux. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook , stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes to let the flour cook.
Gradually add the chicken stock to the roux, stirring. Add enough stock to the pot that the mixture is more of a soup consistency than a sauce. **Err on the thicker side, you can always add more stock. Add the potatoes, chicken, and poultry seasoning to the mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook uncovered for about 30 minutes.**If the mixture gets too thick add more stock or water.
Re-season with salt and pepper and serve.
Calories: 582kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 190mg | Sodium: 481mg | Potassium: 1348mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5815IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 538mg | Iron: 15mg