Vegetarian Pasta in a Red Sauce
Creating delicious restaurant-style dishes in your kitchen isn't difficult. And my Vegetarian Pasta in a red sauce is a great weeknight meal that can be on your table in under an hour. It's a delicious way to use up the vegetables you have on hand.
- 3 tbsp olive oil more if needed
- medium eggplant peeled and cut into small cubes
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper red or green - diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic fine dice
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 56 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 6-8 artichoke hearts canned in brine - sliced (optional)
- 12 green olives sliced (more if you love olives)
- 12 kalamata olives sliced (more if you love olives)
- 2 tbsp basil chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅙ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 lb pasta linguine or your favorite pasta
The first step is to sauté the eggplant with olive oil over high heat for 5-6 minutes. Let it get a good sear.
When the eggplant has been nicely seared, add the mushrooms, onions, peppers and garlic. Continue to sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes.*add additional olive oil if needed
When those vegetables have been nicely cooked, add in the zucchini. Allow this to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
The last step is adding in the crushed tomatoes, olives, artichokes, basil and seasonings. Mix all the ingredients together and let the sauce come to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Cook the pasta per instructions on the box when you have 10-15 minutes left in the simmer stage.
Re-season sauce to taste and serve over pasta with grated Romano cheese.
Calories: 596kcal | Carbohydrates: 95g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 980mg | Potassium: 732mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 913IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg