Homemade Cranberry Sauce
It's easy to make delicious cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving or any time of the year. Trust me this is so much better than having it plop out of a can and it only take minutes to make!
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp orange zest or lemon zest
place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, allow to continue a slow boil for 5 minutes
reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, the sauce will thicken
allow to cool for about 20 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.
Cranberry sauce will become jellied when fully chilled.
To Make Jellied Cranberry Sauce:
- Pour the hot whole berry cranberry sauce into a fine-mesh strainer over a heat-proof bowl.
- Using a large spoon, mash the cranberries with the back of a spoon, frequently scraping the outside of the strainer, until no pulp is left.
- Stir the cranberry sauce and pour the strained sauce into a smaller container. Allow to cool at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.
Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 14mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg