Cincinnati Chili 5-Ways
One of America's favorite regional dishes is Five-Way Cincinnati Chili. If you've never had this delicious dish, add it to your weeknight menu. I promise it will bring smiles to your dinner table!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 ounces dark beer or your favorite root beer
- 2 pounds ground chuck or ground sirloin if you prefer a leaner beef
- 16 ounces heavy crushed tomato
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon corn masa or fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
Cincinnati Chili 5 Ways
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 pound linguine cooker per directions on box
- 1 cup kidney bean or chili beans
- 1 cup pinto beans or beans of your choice
- 4 cups beef chili from my recipe or your favorite brand
In a large skillet or pot add the chopped onions, garlic and olive oil. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions are lightly cooked.
Add ground meat and begin the browning process. You may need to add additional olive oil.
Brown all the meat continuously stirring to break up the meat. ( you may find a heavy wire whisk helpful in breaking up the chunks)
When the meat is browned begin adding in your seasonings including brown sugar( remember you can always add more after its cooked for awhile).
Add crushed tomatoes and beer combining all of the ingredients.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 1 – 2 hours, stirring so the chili won’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
If the chili begins to get too thick you can add chicken stock or water to get it to the consistency you like.
Taste and re-season to your taste.
Cincinnati Chili 5 Ways - Assembly
Cook pasta per instructions on the box
place pasta on the plates, top with chili, beans, chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy!
Calories: 896kcal | Carbohydrates: 144g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1679mg | Potassium: 1786mg | Fiber: 25g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1078IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 15mg