The Ultimate Grilled Chicken Sandwich
When it's time to grill up deliciousness for your friends and family, my Ultimate Grilled Chicken Sandwich should be at the top of your must cook list! I also share my ideas on how to change up the recipe to make it fit your tastes.
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts 4 ounce each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika **regular paprika can be substituted
Honey Balsamic Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey **brown sugar can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste ** ketchup can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons bourbon **optional - I did not use this in my recipe, but it could add another dimension to the flavor
- 4 ounces Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 8 slices bacon cooked and drained
- 4 slices tomato or 8 smaller slices
- 4 seeded hamburger buns or your favorite hamburger bun
Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a hot pan along with the chopped sweet onion and chopped garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes over medium heat, do not burn the garlic and onions.
Add the balsamic, tomato paste and honey to the pan. Bring to a light boil and remove from the heat. At this point add 1-2 tablespoons of water to thin out the mixture.
In a ziplock bag, add chicken, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and half of the honey balsamic sauce (reserve the rest for the grilling process). Make sure the chicken is completely coated in the seasonings. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to allow the flavors to develop in the raw chicken.
cook bacon in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Set aside till needed.
shred cheddar cheese. Set aside till needed.
slice tomatoes and set aside till needed.
Heat the grill to 350-450 degrees so you get good scoring marks.
Brush the chicken breasts with the remainder of the honey balsamic sauce and grill each side about 3-4 minutes(or it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F).
Building the Sandwich
Place the grilled chicken breast on a sheet pan and top each breast with a large slice of tomato (or two small slices), 2 slices of bacon and one ounce of shredded cheddar.
Place the pan on the grill and close the lid to allow the cheddar to melt. **You can also melt the cheddar in your oven under the broiler.
Place the finished topped chicken breasts on your choice of buns and enjoy!
Calories: 680kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 1170mg | Potassium: 743mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 804IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 293mg | Iron: 3mg