Make your own Peppermint Oreo's for the holidays. Stuffed with a beautiful mint green filling perfect for the holiday season and oh so delicious!
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cups to 1 ½ sugar depending on how sweet you want the cookies- I used 1 cup.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons room-temperature unsalted butter, 1 ¼ sticks
- 1 large egg
- 2 Crushed Candy Canes
- ¼ cup room-temperature unsalted butter, ½ stick
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening I used the Spectrum Organics Brand I've mentioned before.
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- t A few drops of peppermint extract (the stuff I have is strong so I can' use too much I'd mix it in gradually until it's the right level of minty-ness)
- Green food coloring optional
In a food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar. While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass.
Take rounded teaspoons of batter and dip the tops in crushed candy canes. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. (These cookies will spread a lot so give them plenty of room!) Bake for 8-11 minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.
To make the cream, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and mint extract. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
To assemble the cookies, in a pastry bag with a ½ inch, round tip, pipe cream into the center of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 41mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.6mg