Chicken Sorrentino (Pollo alla Sorrentina) is a dish you'll find in many Italian restaurants. My version consists of pan-fried crispy eggplant cutlets topped with marinara sauce, followed by a tender chicken breast sauteed and mushrooms, then finished with a thin slice of prosciutto and provolone cheese.
- 1 eggplant peeled and sliced thinly longways ¼-½ inch thick - 4 cutlets are needed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs Italian style bread crumbs or season plain bread crumbs with granulated garlic, granulated onion, chopped parsley and grated Romano cheese
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten with ¼ cup of water added to make your egg wash
- ¼ water
- ½ cup vegetable oil to saute eggplant cutlets- more if needed
- 2 tbsp olive oil to saute chicken breasts, more if needed
- 1 pound 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 ounces each breast)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cup sliced mushrooms (add more oil to saute mushrooms if needed)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 ounce splash of white wine optional
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp granulated onion
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1½ cup marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 2 ounces prosciutto sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- ¼ lb provolone cheese thin slices - 2 slices for each portion
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Dredge the eggplant cutlets in flour, then in egg wash, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Make sure to fully coat the eggplant in each of the steps of the breading station.
In a large saute pan over high heat add enough olive oil to the pan to fry one side of the eggplant at a time. Fry each side of the breaded eggplant until its golden brown. Set on a wire rack or paper towels to drain.
Empty the oil from the saute pan and wipe it out with paper towels.
Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and allow to get hot over medium-high heat.
Dredge the chicken breasts in flour seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, then place into pan with hot oil, sear one side of the chicken and turn it over to saute the other side. At this time add the sliced mushrooms to the pan.*If the chicken breast are too thick, pound them thin with a meat hammer. if they are too thick they will be hard to eat.
Continue cooking over medium heat, allowing the mushrooms to cook until soft, at this point the chicken should almost be fully cooked.
Add a splash of wine to stop cooking, add the chicken stock, seasonings and mix well. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Place the fried eggplant cutlets on a baking dish, add a few spoons of marinara sauce on top of the eggplant and sprinkle liberally with grated romano cheese.
Place the sauteed chicken breasts on top of the eggplant with some of the mushrooms.
Place a slice of proscuitto on top of the chicken breasts.
Top the prosciutto with two slices of provolone cheese. Place the completed chicken sorrento in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted and an instant read thermometer reads an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
Garnish the portions with the pan sauce and mushrooms, fresh chopped Italian parsley, and serve with your favorite pasta or side dish.
Calories: 951kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 49g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 25g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 209mg | Sodium: 1608mg | Potassium: 1468mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 925IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 352mg | Iron: 7mg