Tiramisu - A step by step Tutorial
My step by step instructions for Tiramisu are easy to follow and will make seem like a superstar in the kitchen!
Prep Time30 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar (201 gm)
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese - room temperature (284 gm)
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (420 ml)
- 2 -12 oz packages Savoiardi Lady fingers crunchy not soft variety
- 1 cup cold espresso or strong coffee (240 ml)
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored Liquor optional (120 ml)
- 1 tbsp cocoa for dusting (30 gm)
Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored. (whipping the eggs off the heat should allow them to cool off sufficiently if you're going to make a larger batch make sure to give the sabayon time to cool down before adding the rest of the ingredients.)
Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the ladyfingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
Arrange the ladyfingers in the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish (or 6×9)
Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the ladyfingers.
Repeat process with another layer.
Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Dust with cocoa before serving
***If you can't find Mascarpone in your stores. You can make this substitute. It won't be exactly the same but it will come close.
8 ounces full fat cream cheese, 1/4 cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter, whip until it's just blended. This will give the equivalent of around 1 1/4 cups mascarpone.
- Have the eggs and mascarpone at room temperature before making this recipe. That will help them mix together more smoothly
- Whipping your cream is also where some people make a mistake. The idea with whipped cream is to do it slowly. Begin whipping the cream on low, increasing the speed over 10 minutes. This makes a whipped cream that will last for days in your fridge without the aid of gelatin.
Soak the ladyfingers in the coffee mixture briefly. Don't let them get soggy, it will ruin the dessert.
Only use Crunchy SAVOIARDI (ITALIAN LADYFINGERS) Cake style ladyfingers will get too soft.
- Allow Tiramisu to set up for at least 6 hours before serving. Overnite is best.
- Have the eggs and mascarpone at room temperature before making this recipe. That will help them mix together more smoothly.
Chef Dennis Tip***
If for some reason your Tiramisu doesn't firm up, don't throw it away! You can freeze the cream and have an amazing frozen dessert. I have done this when testing new recipes. Use a springform pan and you can slice it. Add fruit or other toppings and you've got an amazing dessert.
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 217mg | Sodium: 42mg | Potassium: 56mg | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 1280IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 0.4mg