One of my favorite desserts will always be Tiramisu and it’s so easy to make I thought I needed to do a Tiramisu Recipe Step by Step tutorial for everyone.
It seems so long ago that Mama Jeanette taught me how to make this classic dessert from her hometown of Sienna just as her mother had taught her, and her mother’s mother before her.
Mama Jeanette’s version of Tiramisu recipe is one of the most requested recipes I have on my blog, and the only complaint I receive is that so many people assume it’s beyond their skill level and are afraid to try making this amazing dessert. Recently I’ve gotten quite a few emails asking that I do step by step pictures of my Tiramisu to help them through the process.
While step by step images are not a regular feature on my blog, in this instance I’m happy to oblige in the hopes that they will help everyone to understand the process more clearly. Once you get through your first sabayon you’ll see just how easy it is to make this classic and it will become your signature dessert, requested by your friends and family.
Egg yolks and sugar become your Sabayon
add in the Mascarpone
add the whipped cream
fold in the whipped cream
finished mascarpone cream
dip the Savoiardi lady fingers in the coffee-Kahlua mixture
layer the prepared ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan
add a layer of Tiramisu cream
add another layer of prepared lady fingers
add another layer of Tiramisu cream and dust with unsweetened cocoa
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar (201 gm)
- 1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese - room temperature (284 gm)
- 1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (420 ml)
- 2 -12 oz packages Savoiardi Lady fingers crunchy not soft variety
- 1 cup cold espresso or strong coffee (240 ml)
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored Liquor optional (120 ml)
- 1 tbsp cocoa for dusting (30 gm)
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored. (whipping the eggs off the heat should allow them to cool off sufficiently, if you're going to make a larger batch make sure to give the sabayon time to cool down before adding the rest of the ingredients.)
- Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a 8 inch square baking dish (or 6×9)
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
- Repeat process with another layer.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa before serving
I can promise you once you’ve made your first Tiramisu with my recipe you’ll never be happy with restaurant Tiramisu again. And definitely, plan on making it on regular basis, it’s just that good!