This light and moist orange yogurt cake is perfect for breakfast or dessert. Serve it up with fresh fruit and whipped cream or ice cream.
My Orange Yogurt Cake is easy to make and so delicious!
I do love Greek Yogurt. It doesn’t matter if it’s just plain and I serve it with fresh fruit or if it has fruit on the bottom that I get to swirl through.
And I love baking with Greek Yogurt, it improves the flavor, the texture, and density of just about any cake or muffin with the added bonus of being low fat. To me, that’s a win-win situation.
And since I was in a baking mood, I decided to make this a European style cake using my Greek yogurt. It’s not overly sweet and it’s perfect for dunking in coffee or espresso or just eating on the run, which is exactly how I enjoyed it this morning on my way to meet with a client.
I also used extra virgin olive oil, so my cake did have a slight olive oil flavor that I thought blended perfectly with the orange rind that was added. But if you’re not a fan of olive oil simply substitute your favorite vegetable oil.
Now if you’re looking to impress your friends or family or just want to treat yourself to an extra serving of deliciousness, add a heaping spoonful of homemade whipped cream and fresh berries. I promise you won’t be disappointed. In fact, you may go back for seconds.
My Orange Yogurt Cake is sure to please and freezes well, so make a few and keep them on hand to serve your guests.
If you liked this recipe you may also like these:
- Clementine Cranberry Pound Cake
- Cannoli Pound Cake with White Chocolate Ganache
- Peach Pecan Pound Cake
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Pound Cake (Starbucks Copycat Recipe)
- Peaches and Cream Cottage Cheese Breakfast Cake
Orange Yogurt Cake
- 1 1/2 cups low fat Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp orange zest finely zested
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a springform pan by buttering the sides of the pan and using a parchment circle on the bottom (butter the parchment as well)
- Mix together the flour, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda in mixing bowl
- In a mixing bowl add the sugar, Greek yogurt, olive oil, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Make sure the ingredients are well blended and creamy.
- Add in the dry ingredients mixing just enough until well blended with no visible lumps
- Pour the batter into your prepared springform pan and place in your preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. The cake should have a rich golden brown color, if it looks as though the cake is getting too brown you can cover it with foil.
- The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove the outside of the springform pan, allowing to cool for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the bottom and parchment and serve warm with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries.