These lovely orange cardamom scones, with the subtle flavors of cardamom and orange, are sure to please the pickiest eater in your family. They're perfect for breakfast, lunch or an afternoon snack.
How to make Orange Cardamom Scones.
Hi everybody! I’m Heather, from Bake, Run, Live! I’m relatively new at blogging (August will be 1 year), so I am completely thrilled and honored that Chef Dennis has asked me to do a guest post! I admire Chef Dennis, both for his recipes and for being willing to share his blogging knowledge with us. I have learned a great deal, just by reading his “Ask Chef Dennis” posts.
I was tempted to follow Chef Dennis’ recent recipe lead, and make something with strawberries. Sadly, locally grown strawberries are still a few more weeks out in my area. So, I’ll just have to make do with bookmarking all those strawberry posts (gelato- I’m looking at you!).
So, for my guest post, I decided to make Orange Cardamom Scones. I love all things breakfast, and I really enjoy making a batch of scones on Saturday mornings after my long run (have to replenish those carbs, you know!). Scones are easy to put together and are really versatile- kind of like cookies (and I love cookies!). This particular batch has cardamom and orange zest in the scones, then I juiced the orange and made a quick glaze (I like things sweet). You could easily leave off the orange glaze, but I like the extra pop of citrus.
A scone and a cup of hot chocolate, and I’m ready to tackle my Saturday to-do list (item #1- take a nap!).
Thank you for reading…and Chef Dennis, thank you for letting me spread my blogging wings! And I’ll leave you with the tagline that I put on all my recipe posts…”Made with love, not calories!”
If you’ve tried this scone recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @chefdenniseats and @chefdennistravels, Twitter and Facebook.
You might also like my Meyer Lemon Scones.
Orange Cardamom Scones
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup butter cold and diced
- 2 eggs
- zest of one orange
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice use a little more if necessary
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Stir in the eggs and the orange zest.
- Add in the half and half, and stir until the dough just comes together.
- On a floured surface, dump out the dough and gently knead it a few times until the dough is smooth and stays together. Roll or pat out into a 9 inch circle (doesn’t have to be exact). Gently fold one side of the dough towards the center, then fold the other side all the way over- like you are making an envelope (this should give you a rectangle shape).
- Roll or pat out the dough until it is 3 inches by 18 inches. Cut this into 6, 3 inch squares, then cut each square in half. Transfer scones onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place scones in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- After 30 minutes, remove the scones from the freezer and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the orange glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar with 2 to 3 tablespoons of orange juice- depending on the consistency you like.
- Pour the glaze over the scones and enjoy!