Looking to change up lunch? Try a Cuban turkey sandwich. It's a delicious blend of roasted turkey, cream cheese and strawberry preserves on a toasted roll.
Twenty years ago on one of my first trips to Disneyworld in Orlando, I happened upon the newly opened Bongo’s Cuban Cafe in Downtown Disney. I honestly was a little hesitant when I ordered my Cuban Turkey Sandwich, but let me tell you it was Love at First Bite! In fact it was so good that I ended up going back for a second sandwich.
Let’s get our ingredients together for the Cuban Turkey Sandwich!
Sandwiches really aren’t too difficult to make, but they can be delicious and being a little adventurous can turn a boring lunch into an event! Your kids may turn their nose up at this sandwich but I guarantee it will be a treat for the adults in the house.
I like to start off by slicing my roll in half and buttering each side. Then its a few minutes on a grill pan to the bread nice and toasted.
Spread the softened cream cheese on one side of the roll and top it off with your favorite strawberry preserve. Layer the other side with the Roasted Turkey Breast and put the two sides together to make your Cuban Turkey Sandwich.
Then it’s a few minutes back on the grill, toasting each side of the roll. The cream cheese will melt a little bit and get ooey gooey with the strawberry preserves. It’ll be a little messy to eat, but soooooo delicioso!
Out of habit, I clean all the plastic containers that food I buy comes in, upcycling as many as possible. As I washed the Hillshire Farm® Turkey container I thought that if I packed a lunch for work, the shape of the container would be the perfect size for a sandwich. But since I work from home, I had a better idea.
If for some reason you haven’t heard, I live in Florida, and I love, love, love Florida and all its beaches. But I have leaving my valuables in pockets, my beach chair or pockets of the bags. That’s the first place someone looking to relieve you of your valuables would look.
But the roast turkey container would simply look like someone’s lunch and is the perfect size to fit my wallet, car keys, glasses and random stuff from my pockets. Just place a napkin on top of your stuff to make it look complete and it’s off to the beach (or pool) we go! How would you upcycle the container?
If you’re a sandwich lover you’re going to love these recipes:
- Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Sweet Sausage Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cuban Turkey Sandwich
- 1 loaf cuban bread
- 8 ounces roasted turkey breast
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves or more if you like
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- Slice the loaf of cuban bread in half long ways.
- brush each of the cut sides with melted butter and place on a hot grill pan to toast.
- spread softened cream cheese on the top side of the roll evenly.
- spread the strawberry preserves over the cream cheese.
- layer the Hillshire Farm® roasted turkey breast on the other half of the roll, top with cream cheese and jelly side. Press down lightly.
- Cut Bread into sections and place back on the grill pan to toast on both sides of the roll.
- Allow the sandwich to toast long enough to slightly melt the cream cheese.