Delicious doesn't begin to describe this Chocolate Citrus Frangipane Tart. Your friends and family will love every bite of this flavorful creation!
This Chocolate Citrus Frangipane Tart would make a perfect addition to your family’s dinner table.
This delicious cake is not your usual dessert but I guarantee your family will love it!
The first thing which came to mind was a frangipane tart. After all, they are elegant, classic and to me irresistible! I was in a dark chocolate sort of mood as well, so I thought a dark chocolate frangipane filling and crust would be perfect! Since citrus is at its peak this time of the year, I thought I would add it as another flavor in the form of kumquats and orange since it goes so lovely with the dark chocolate.
To start off I made a buttery shortbread type of crust, chocolate of course to contain the frangipane filling. I flavored the frangipane with both orange zest and extract as well as vanilla for good measure along with the almond chocolate base.
Before adding the filling to the crust, I scattered good quality chopped dark chocolate in the bottom to make it extra delicious, then after filling placed kumquats on top to make the tart more lovely and also because I am in love with kumquats!
The tart smelled like the most amazing brownie as it was baking, the aromas of chocolate and citrus filling my kitchen and causing me to wish I could taste it straight out of the oven. But of course, I needed to wait until it cooled which is always hard. It was well worth the wait, however, so delicious! The crust was crisp, and the filling like a decadent fudgy brownie with the citrusy flavor of orange! I had known it would be good, but it was even more heavenly than I expected! I will never tire of frangipane tarts, so many possibilities for what you can do with them, but this was one of my favorites! If you would like to make one for yourself, I have included the recipe below!
If you like this cake you might also like my Orange Yogurt Cake.
If you’ve tried this Chocolate Citrus Frangipane Tart with Kumquat recipe or any other recipe on askchefdennis.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Citrus Frangipane Tart with Kumquat
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water plus more if needed
Frangipane (Almond Cream)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup kumquats thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
To make crust
- in a bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add vanilla as well as water and mix together with hands until dough comes together, adding more water if necessary to form a cohesive dough ball.
- Press the crust into a 8 inch tart pan with removable bottom, into the bottom, and up the sides of the pan, and place in the freezer.
- Freeze 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 and place the rack in the center of the oven.
To make frangipane
- in a medium bowl, with a hand mixer, cream the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the egg, orange zest, orange extract and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the almond meal, cocoa powder and flour and beat until it forms a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a small bowl, cover and refrigerate
To assemble tart
- scatter chocolate chunks on the bottom of the crust, then spread frangipane over the top.
- Decoratively arrange kumquat slices on top of the tart.
- Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of sugar and bake the tart for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly brown, and frangipane is cooked through. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.